No sound 1994 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,
Currently trying to figure something out on our 94. The truck suddenly had an issue with no sound coming from speakers. I assumed either the factory tuner/amp under the steering column or the radio itself had gone bad. The factory radio still displayed station, time, volume, and would adjust but no sound. I replaced it all with an aftermarket gear and still have the same issue. Aftermarket radio powers on but no sound. I wouldn’t think the four speakers would be on an isolated ground just by themselves but I suppose it’s possible. There are no other funny issues and honestly I’m kinda stumped. Unfortunately I do not have a test light or meter with me to verify power at speakers. That will be my next step. I just wanted to check with other members to see if I’m missing anything obvious or if anyone else has ran into same issue

3Dog

Reaction score
Good morning all,
Currently trying to figure something out on our 94. The truck suddenly had an issue with no sound coming from speakers. I assumed either the factory tuner/amp under the steering column or the radio itself had gone bad. The factory radio still displayed station, time, volume, and would adjust but no sound. I replaced it all with an aftermarket gear and still have the same issue. Aftermarket radio powers on but no sound. I wouldn’t think the four speakers would be on an isolated ground just by themselves but I suppose it’s possible. There are no other funny issues and honestly I’m kinda stumped. Unfortunately I do not have a test light or meter with me to verify power at speakers. That will be my next step. I just wanted to check with other members to see if I’m missing anything obvious or if anyone else has ran into same issue

Definitely check power to speakers. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
M

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there's an amp, is the fuse good?
All of the fuses I could find pertaining to radio were all good. Unfortunately I’m several hours away from it now. It’s on a family farm and my dad drives it mostly. I hope we can get back there again over the summer. When I get back to it I’ll take a meter and probe around. Thanks everyone for the input

OP
OP
M

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem solved. I was able to put a meter on the speakers, and no power. Rather than chasing my tail on 28 year old wiring, I ended up replacing dads factory speakers and ran new wiring to the new head unit. Now he has Bluetooth capabilities and some better sounding tunes. Apparently the factory tuners in the 88-94s are notorious for failing with no sound as most common problem. This wasn’t the issue with ours. Regardless, hope it helps someone else in the future. Happy new year everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC