Nivomat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Model : 2000 tahoe lt, 5.3L, 4wd. So I bought the nivomat replacement shock from the dealer at a decent price. I am planning to do the truxx lift kit using the supplied extensions. Truxx told me not to do the bilsteins because there has been sooo much R&D that the kit they supply (extension vs. bilsteins) is best. I don't want to modify the stock feel much. It rides good, sways a bit for my taste, but overall good. I do plan on towing a bit (less than 2 ton) and it has to be able to do mountain trails (unpredictable forest and county road... not jeep trails) My questions are: 1) does the bilstein 5100 provide anything special over the stock setup with truxx "lift"
2) would the Z71 coils add anything to the situation I have described above and if so what?

Still haven't seen any part numbers on those zcoils. Where would you look for these?
Thanks all,

Last edited:

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-How high are you going?
-Is truxx supplying extensions for all four shocks, or just the front?

The reason I ask is because if they are only supplying extensions for the front you'll run into dampening problems in the rear with your nivomats. You might even get less effectiveness with counter resistance to payload if you lose an 1" or 2" out of them with out extensions.

If you've already got the nivo's and their shipping extensions all around you should be fine. Use the load assist bags to stiffen the rear up. That will stop the sway you don't like. Switch the rest out when the nivo's wear out.

Bils are just a really good hd shock, they do nothing for payload. The zcoils are rated 750 lbs more each than the z55 LT coils and probably well over 1000lbs each than the weak ls springs. That's why ppl replace the coils when they replace the nivo's with bils shocks.

Lutha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The Truxx kit lifts the rear 1.25" and 2-3" in the front. The kit only includes extensions for the front. What would you do with your rigs considering only the lift kit and not the nivos I already have?

I am leaning towards just installing the kit with the nivomats and standard GM shock in the front (with extensions). Then monitoring the ride. Do you have a link for the load assist bags?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elepere