Newbie needs some info. Please help. Time critical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Mandera

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked up a 2014 Tahoe SSV this last November with only 72k on it. Put a leveling kit, wheels/tires, rhino rack, stereo system and a couple other things. Been reliable and I really like the rig.

A few months back i started to notice a sound when turning sharp and realized there was a power steering leak that was gradually getting worse. Decided to try and fix it a couple days ago. I noticed the fluid was coming from the driver side rack and pinion boot that goes over the inner tie rod. The boot had split on one of its seams. Finally got a "Moog rack and pinion bellows kit" today which is just a boot and a couple zip ties. After installing it i added fluid to the reservoir, turned the key to on and started turning the steering wheel from right to left to cycle the fluid. Well, fluid is leaking out from under the boot on the rack side. FML.

I am not a mechanic but am mechanically inclined and have worked on several cars over the years. With that being said I am no expert on power steering systems as that is one thing I have never really had to deal with. I apologize if this is a stupid question but.... is there even supposed to be p.s. fluid in that boot? Shouldn't there just be grease in there and the fluid in the rack, cooler and pump? Is there maybe a seal that is compromised on that side of the rack that is leaking fluid into the boot? If so, can it be easily fixed or do I need a whole new f*%#$ing steering rack?

Here is the kicker, I have an annual week long camping trip that has been planned, leaving Wednesday morning. It is Monday afternoon already. I need my Tahoe to transport all of are gear and to tow the dirt bikes. Need to fix this by Wednesday morning. This is stressing me out.
PLEASE HELP
Any advice or knowledge from someone who has experience with this or something similar will gladly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt