New vehicle recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to piggyback on this thread because I had a similar question and don't think there's a need start a new topic about it.

I have a 2019 Tahoe with 36K miles, no mechanical problems so far. I've been considering upgrading to a 2023 and going with a fully-loaded High County trim (current 2019 is an LT). This isn't a need situation, I just want more options, like ventilated seats and the 6.2L motor, and the newer 10-speed transmission and IRS sounds nice. It's easy to find discussions on both generations about issues, like transmission issues with the 15-19s, lifter issues with 21s and some 22s, and seemingly more 'electrical gremlins' with the 21+ generation.

Would it be a mistake to trade in a perfectly working 2019 for a 2023? Are the newer rigs actually more reliable than the prior generation despite the issues I see posted here? I would like a newer Tahoe, but all the talk about lifter issues, the 6.2s spinning bearings and/or locking up, and the electrical gremlin talk is concerning.
You're going to find issues no matter what generation or what make/model. GM is selling a TON of these SUVs and all things considered this forum is pretty quiet. Not many people come to this forum to talk about how their vehicle has no issues. Yes, lifter failures, spun bearings, failed modules are all a bit concerning, but odds are you'll be fine.

That said, the IRS makes for a nice ride and a super comfortable third row. The 10-speed is buttery smooth. 21+ dash layout is clean and easy to use. There's also other features that High Country trim will offer that you likely don't have on your '19.

Have you driven the new generation? Give it a spin - see what you think and if you like it - go for it.

OP
OP
T

Themadangler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to piggyback on this thread because I had a similar question and don't think there's a need start a new topic about it.

I have a 2019 Tahoe with 36K miles, no mechanical problems so far. I've been considering upgrading to a 2023 and going with a fully-loaded High County trim (current 2019 is an LT). This isn't a need situation, I just want more options, like ventilated seats and the 6.2L motor, and the newer 10-speed transmission and IRS sounds nice. It's easy to find discussions on both generations about issues, like transmission issues with the 15-19s, lifter issues with 21s and some 22s, and seemingly more 'electrical gremlins' with the 21+ generation.

Would it be a mistake to trade in a perfectly working 2019 for a 2023? Are the newer rigs actually more reliable than the prior generation despite the issues I see posted here? I would like a newer Tahoe, but all the talk about lifter issues, the 6.2s spinning bearings and/or locking up, and the electrical gremlin talk is concerning.
Good question. I know nothing about the issues concerning 15-19 trans and have only read about 21/22 issues but if I had a 19 suburban, currently have a 14, without any issues, I'd keep it. We usually keep vehicles for 10 years as long as they are working to give the newer models some time to work out the kinks. My 14 is almost at that 10 year mark and although its still running nicely, we want some of the new tech(aka problems) since its our primary roadtrip vehicle. Good luck

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, historically folks who've been wronged or have problems are often times the most squeaky wheels on the forums, while happy go lucky owners mostly don't go out of their way to let the world know.

The new Tahoe High Country with air ride option is probably as nice of a ride that you'll get out of a Chevy (except for a comparably-optioned Suburban) and would prolly make you very happy :thumbsup:

I actually owned a '23 Tahoe HC with air ride and 6.2L for about a month but traded into a new Suburbn HC with air ride and Duramax motor because of its slightly more comfortable ride, my fill-up's now are every 600 miles (vs little under 400 miles with my 6.2L suburban) the Duramax runs noticeably more quiet and I have zero worries about lifters.

You might consider that there's been talk of the Tahoe getting a refresh for 2024, coming out in late 2023, search for discussion and spy photos here in the forum. Possible exterior trim with dash and screen upgrades. We already know for sure that the '24 Tahoe and Suburban will get the newer Duramax 3.0L motor with its 10% horsepower gain.

Anyway, if you have the spare coin then I vote why not :)

Last edited:

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's also probably a large segment of owners that just don't want to deal with the run-around from the dealership for items that aren't safety/reliability related. if they aren't going to mess with getting it fixed, definitely not going to come on a forum to discuss it.

exterior latch on our 23 tahoe is gradually getting worse and worse...push the button, it unlatches but that action doesn't lift the tailgate, have to push the button again. Does it about 50% of the time now. Last oil change had the dealer look at it and they just shrugged it off.

May mention it a couple more times to the dealer, but I already wasted too much time typing this post about it

OP
OP
T

Themadangler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picking her up tomorrow. Thanks to all the information received here we ended up going with a 22 yukon xl slt. Low mileage at 25,150. Not quite the denali we wanted but the price and miles sold me. Has optional 22's which will likely be a headache on bumpy roads, slt premium and luxury pkgs. and the dreaded DFM. Thoughs on best way to override the DFM? My suburban was exclusively driven in M5 this yukon will be manual 9 I suspect to stay in V8 mode. Anyone have the Range device for their 22? Its got the 5.3 which wont bring a smile to my face like the 6.2 but will keep a little green in my pocket.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_060720_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_060720_Chrome.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230620_062523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_062523_Chrome.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 4

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking her up tomorrow. Thanks to all the information received here we ended up going with a 22 yukon xl slt. Low mileage at 25,150. Not quite the denali we wanted but the price and miles sold me. Has optional 22's which will likely be a headache on bumpy roads, slt premium and luxury pkgs. and the dreaded DFM. Thoughs on best way to override the DFM? My suburban was exclusively driven in M5 this yukon will be manual 9 I suspect to stay in V8 mode. Anyone have the Range device for their 22? Its got the 5.3 which wont bring a smile to my face like the 6.2 but will keep a little green in my pocket.
There is no DFM delete for the 21+ SUVs. Certainly you could contact Range and see if they are working on one, but the new DFM system design + Global B architecture is proving to be a difficult system to bypass by the aftermarket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9