New steering rack in my future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update with some pics from the work. Still have a few things to finish and wrap up the job, but I have an appointment at Firestone on Wednesday morning to get it aligned, so I better get it done stat! Still haven't torn into the old rack yet.

1661795236379.png
1661795264909.png
1661795300998.png
1661795344738.png

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt one with the Gates kit and it started leaking again worse than it did before about 6 months later. The rebuild is not for the faint of heart. There are a number of felt seals that you really need a stretching and shrinking sizer tool to install and the internal seal in the middle of the gear was a BEAR to get out and back in, there also has to be a special tool for this and or some sort of press adapter to install the new one smoothly. I have had sucess with only replacing the seals on the pinion shaft to fix the insanely annoying squeaking/rubbing noise they make when turning the steering wheel. I've fixed three of those so far (one for each truck). My opinion now is if they're leaking, they're trash because it has to be an internal bushing which doesn't come in any rebuild kit causing it to leak. I've seen tons of reman steering gears start leaking again shortly after being installed so I'm not much interested in spending $800 on one. GM for some reason decided to never sell the gears for these trucks new, they've only ever been remans even when they were still under warranty so any new gear you've found is aftermarket and I would be very weary of that. It probably won't feel the same.

I think the factory had some sort of flow test they did on the gears when new because it is interesting how they all take the "same" gear (only difference is truck vs. SUV has a different part number) but the gears in a Chevy or SLE/SLT Yukon feel much heavier than the gear in a Denali or Escalade. I've bought a bunch of used steering gears that's where I really realized that. I returned a few of them because of that. Every gear that came from a Denali or Escalade had the same nice light feel.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt one with the Gates kit and it started leaking again worse than it did before about 6 months later. The rebuild is not for the faint of heart. There are a number of felt seals that you really need a stretching and shrinking sizer tool to install and the internal seal in the middle of the gear was a BEAR to get out and back in, there also has to be a special tool for this and or some sort of press adapter to install the new one smoothly. I have had sucess with only replacing the seals on the pinion shaft to fix the insanely annoying squeaking/rubbing noise they make when turning the steering wheel. I've fixed three of those so far (one for each truck). My opinion now is if they're leaking, they're trash because it has to be an internal bushing which doesn't come in any rebuild kit causing it to leak. I've seen tons of reman steering gears start leaking again shortly after being installed so I'm not much interested in spending $800 on one. GM for some reason decided to never sell the gears for these trucks new, they've only ever been remans even when they were still under warranty so any new gear you've found is aftermarket and I would be very weary of that. It probably won't feel the same.

I think the factory had some sort of flow test they did on the gears when new because it is interesting how they all take the "same" gear (only difference is truck vs. SUV has a different part number) but the gears in a Chevy or SLE/SLT Yukon feel much heavier than the gear in a Denali or Escalade. I've bought a bunch of used steering gears that's where I really realized that. I returned a few of them because of that. Every gear that came from a Denali or Escalade had the same nice light feel.
Really, really helpful to know. And I wondered about the possibility of differences in steering feel. The new one definitely feels more snug and there is more resistance in the steering wheel than the original. So maybe my replacement was one that was tuned for a Silverado or Suburban.

Sure hope the reman doesn't start to leak in a few weeks/months/years. It's not an awful job but then I'd have to take it in for alignment and all of that. I would have bought a new OEM unit but couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no new OEM gears for these, unfortunately. There is an OEM reman and an AC Delco reman (much lesser quality) but they’re both pretty spendy. I’m usually all for OEM parts as they’re almost always better quality than aftermarket replacement parts but a reman is different, I think a reman is a reman. I was tempted by the new aftermarket one as well but really worried about the steering feel.

I came across a used 29k mile 2012 Escalade while looking for trim pieces that was smashed in the rear and they had the steering gear listed so I bought it thinking it would be perfect and undamaged. I didn’t even pay attention the salvage yard was in Michigan and the truck came from Illinois so it is pretty crusty, they must have strictly put that 29k miles on it in the winter. I can’t decide if I want to keep it and try to clean it up since it is highly unlikely another with such low mileage from an Escalade or Denali will come up any time soon or not. In their the internals should be ok.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an updated perspective here. After driving both the '07 with the reman rack and the '12 with the original rack, I have to say that the steering wheel resistance and handling both feel the same between them.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s good to know. Which one did you get from Rock Auto?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to take any more pictures of the reman gear other than the one posted above? The boot looks to be factory-ish in that picture. One of the things I've always hated about the aftermarket reman gears is they usually come with a crappy rubber boot that doesn't "slide" on the inner tie-rod when adjusted the alignment so it twists up and you have to take the clamp off to fix it. The only thing that bothers me is they show it fits pickups and SUVs but GM has two different part numbers for pickups and SUVs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to take any more pictures of the reman gear other than the one posted above? The boot looks to be factory-ish in that picture. One of the things I've always hated about the aftermarket reman gears is they usually come with a crappy rubber boot that doesn't "slide" on the inner tie-rod when adjusted the alignment so it twists up and you have to take the clamp off to fix it. The only thing that bothers me is they show it fits pickups and SUVs but GM has two different part numbers for pickups and SUVs.
I'm sorry, I didn't :-( It's definitely a factory part that's been rebuilt.

The boots actually behaved as I hoped. They were snug on the rods but allowed enough slippage for me to install and adjust the tie rod ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts