New member, just brought home an '05 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grant Y

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I literally just got home after picking up a new-to-me '05 Tahoe w/179K miles in pretty decent shape.
Bought it for $700 (from a family member). I'd like to know how do I find out its factory original equipment package, engine/trans, axle ratio, model type, etc. I did try one of those VIN decoders and that was a waste of time. They seem like scams to get you to buy their service or there was NO valuable info. Is there a site that can give me "line setting ticket" info?
I also tried searching this forum on how to get that info but wasn't successful.
Thanks!

OP
OP
G

Grant Y

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally found my engine size: 5.3
I'd still love to obtain trans/axle/factory eqp list, etc.
Where does one find this info?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami&NYC Grant!

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pay to have your VIN decoded, that will tell you all those codes in you glove box, and tell you what they are.

You can take (a picture of) all those codes, and then check them yourself here for free:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/index.php
Separate your codes by a comma, and you can type them all in at once. Then print to paper or pdf to keep handy.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Being that you have a 2005 tahoe with a 5.3 V8, you will probably have a 4L60E transmission. Which was GMs 4 speed trans that was mated to the 5.3 engine. As the guys stated above, you can private message GM’s customer service, they’re a member here, and ask for your truck’s build sheet. It’ll be a list of all the equipment in RPO codes, but each rpo has what it actually is written out beside it. That was the format I liked most for seeing what my vehicle had from the factory. Typically when you send them a message with your VIN and year make and model, they respond within a day or so and they can email you your build sheet. It’s pretty easy. Also as the other guys said above we love pics here! Haha.