new 2AWG ground from alternator to battery neg post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I am trying to improve the charging integrity of my 08 xl1500. Everything is much more reliable after the changes made in "chasing low voltage thread". However after studying the big 3 and viewing the "mandatory ground" application in Mechman alternators install instructions i decided to add a 2AWG wire directly from the alternator case to the battery ground post. By doing this it completely eliminated the slight alternator whine that was coming through the stereo speakers?????

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have dual batteries and recently I changed the alternator because it was bad. Ever since I installed the new alternator, I have a slight whine in my speakers too. I'm going to try your idea and see if that helps.

OP
OP
T

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I have dual batteries and recently I changed the alternator because it was bad. Ever since I installed the new alternator, I have a slight whine in my speakers too. I'm going to try your idea and see if that helps.

My next step is dual batt's. I like the backup bat in the event of alternator failure it doubles my distance to get where i can fix it. At some point i have to simply accept that the charge system inc' the RVC will function as designed and give me reliable service. The ground that i installed went between the alt chassis and one of the mount bolts on the fwd side. Just slide one of the bushings fwd and slide it between the bushing/alt chassis. I realize that there are fasteners on the alt bracket that would also work but the "Mechman" install mandates the alternator chassis must be used. It absolutely worked for me. I also used 2AWG for the positive wire.

Last edited:

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My next step is dual batt's. I like the backup bat in the event of alternator failure it doubles my distance to get where i can fix it. At some point i have to simply accept that the cahrge system inc' the RVC will function as designed and give me reliable service. The ground that i installed went between the alt chassis and one of the mount bolts on the fwd side. Just slide one of the bushings fwd and slide it between the bushing/alt chassis. I realize that there are fasteners on the alt bracket that would also work but the "Mechman" install mandates the alternator chassis must be used. It absolutely worked for me. I also used 2AWG for the positive wire.

I can tell you that it does not do much in the event of a failure like that. I had it happen and it goes quick, with ac running, fans and radio on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo