Need Part identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluerdg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The hinge pin on my interior hood release broke this morning and I was just under the dash checking it out. While I was there I noticed a Black Plastic box a little bigger than a large smart phone just behind the bottom dash trim almost directly under the steering column. It has "Directed Electronics" embossed on it (my eyes ares too bad but that's what my son says is on it) It's got a variety of wire harnesses plugged into it ( of particular interest is the large white plug on the passenger side). I'm asking what it is due to the fact that the large white plug with what look to be power wires was dangling loose. I plugged it back in and started her up but don't notice anything different. I bought the vehicle used back in the summer and everything seems to work fine. Just kind of interested in what the part is and what that harness goes to. Wasn't really sure where to put this but if there's a better section of the forum I encourage the move.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluerdg

Bluerdg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. I meant to update last week. It took a bit of background but I finally found out it's a relatively new Remote Start and Keyless Entry System. There's another relay module under the dash as well. PO just disconnected the harnesses, removed the hood pin (rolled the wire up and tucked it) and kept the remotes. I found replacement remotes for under 30.00, just waiting for them to show up.

OP
OP
Bluerdg

Bluerdg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks again for the response and the link. Got direction on what remote I needed. The tech at Best Buy had to flash the module, but for 50.00 he installed a hood safety switch, connected the horn (neither were done with the original install) tweaked the system programming, and set up the new fob. I checked with the dealer I got the vehicle from and he had no idea the system was in there. Sweet set up particularly since I didn't pay that much to get it.

oh1yukonslt

Wikitsikone
Reaction score
Funny thing is when I got my Yukon I was installing a stereo and when I had the bezel off I just happened to look down towards the steering column and see a black box with wires coming out. Knowing alarms and remote starters place boxes there I took a deeper look. Found out I have a DEI Automate remote starter. Popped open the hood chasing wires and found the hood safety pin switch. I just need to get it programmed with a key fob now. All wires look to be connected just I don't have a key fob for it. Going to try the website and order a fob and then go to best buy to have them program it. Where did you get your fob from? Funny we have kind of the same stories.

OP
OP
Bluerdg

Bluerdg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you get your fob from? Funny we have kind of the same stories.
I had to jump through hoops to find out exactly what it was I had. Directed makes components for everybody it seems. Once we had it the unit identified, there were still 2 possibilities for the correct remote (came down to date code on unit). Get a confirmation on what you need for a replacement remote and Google the model #. I found more options than I could count. I found a new one on e-bay for 26.00 shipped free (that's about 20.00 bucks cheaper than the OEM new).

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you got it all figured out and got a good alarm and a remote start on the cheap! I love google for finding out info on most everything, I did that with my mystery alarm system a few years back to see if I could find another remote on the cheap but found out that it was the same price as a whole replacement alarm system so decided to run this one in the ground!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito