Need more OOOMPH for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rpprvnce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First Gear Ratio :)1): 3.06
Second Gear Ratio :)1): 1.63
Third Gear Ratio :)1): 1.00
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1): 0.70
18 Denali wheels with 265/70/18 A/T
I literally cant make the truck go faster than 75 while pulling a trailer without running at least 3000 RPM even on a good flat interstate... I am getting a K&N CAI for sure and ive been looking at the Hypertech max energy. I dont know anything about the Black Bear Tune tho... I would be interested to hear from people that have one or the other. Im not really going for the gas mileage as I am the total loss of power. But obviously better than 10 mpg would be nice especially during hunting season. Thats why i got rid of my 454

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow there is something seriously wrong. I have an 01 suburban, so already heavier, with 5.3 so not a bigger motor. I tow a 17ft horse trailer with about 2500-3000lbs every weekend. That plus 4-6 adults and have no issue staying at speed. I can even pass people if needed. I cruise about 65 @ 1500rpm. Don't know my final drive gear though.

I have a K&N cai, custom cat bat with flow master and Black Bear Tune. The tune made a huge difference with my truck hunting for gears. Now I just drop a gear when accelerating to pass or going up a hill. I also cleaned my maf, intake and seafoamed it. The seafoam made a noticeable difference in idle. Didn't do much for mpg but i still get about 14 mpg towing the heavy ass trailer.

Rpprvnce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea thats what I was saying!!!! I do have a Truck Vault that weighs over 250 lbs by itself plus everything else i keep in there but still... In town I get about 13 and highway 15 thats doing 75 or 80.

Chevyrider619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my wife's jeep from Cali to VA. 2700 miles with 35's 350 ect.ect... I think you might wanna re-gear it, those gears helped me out alot. 4.56's

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Gear Ratio :)1): 3.06
Second Gear Ratio :)1): 1.63
Third Gear Ratio :)1): 1.00
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1): 0.70
18 Denali wheels with 265/70/18 A/T
I literally cant make the truck go faster than 75 while pulling a trailer without running at least 3000 RPM even on a good flat interstate... I am getting a K&N CAI for sure and ive been looking at the Hypertech max energy. I dont know anything about the Black Bear Tune tho... I would be interested to hear from people that have one or the other. Im not really going for the gas mileage as I am the total loss of power. But obviously better than 10 mpg would be nice especially during hunting season. Thats why i got rid of my 454

Still need the final drive ratio. It is the gear ratio in the differential. Also, which motor do you have?

It almost sounds like you have the 4.8L with a tall final drive gear.

Do not get the Hypertech. Search on hear because those that tried it saw very little gains. Some even switched to Black Bear and there is no comparison. Get the Black Bear, custom performance tune with torque reduction (all tuned to your liking) and keep tow/haul mode. It would be best to install CAI and exhaust before the tune.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very strange. You shouldnt be having any trouble with it at all. You getting any codes at all? I would say hold off on the BB tune till you figure out what is wrong. Getting the tune now will just mask the problem. What engine do you have?

Ironman1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah.. seems to me like you got a set of the 2.73 or the 3.08 gears.. you need a swap to like a 3.42 or something along those lines.. with nothing on the truck and in od what rpm are you running at when the cruise is at 70 on a flat road.

Rpprvnce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put a brute force cold air intake on it and while installing it I noticed how dirty the throttle body was.. It was bad so I cleaned it pretty good and man I can already tell a difference!!

Rpprvnce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its a 5.3 with 100,000mi and it runs right around 2000 RPMs doing 70. When I first got the truck i was stunned when i found out it gets around 13 mpg in town and 15 on the highway doing 75. there are no trouble lights on in the dash but there are two weird things happening.. When the headlights come on automatically or manually the cruise wont work and all of the lights flicker really fast. almost like a strobe light... I mean all the door lights interior lights dash light buttons and everything. But there are no lights on that shouldnt be.. Those are the only two things i can find wrong with my truck.. My throttle body was horrendously dirty tho..

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you need to complete a tune-up before proceeding. I guess we should have asked the obvious questions like basic servicing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019