Navigation Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaz8Mealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking to add a really good aftermarket navigation screen. Preferably with Apple Play and the ability to have an OEM style camera. Currently running the OEM unit with a Bose system. Any ideas?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pioneer & kenwood both have wireless headunits I have the pioneer nex w8400 @Rocket Man has the kenwood
I have both pioneer & kenwood units in my trucks. Both are nice. I prefer the pioneer only because it has wireless Apple CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
x3 on Kenwood or Pioneer. I believe that they both offer wireless navigation now. I have 2 Kenwood head units, and they've performed very well for me.

At the time that I purchased my Kenwood, they offered two designs, on the used your phone's cell connection for GPS location, and one that had GPS navigation built directly into the head unit for a higher price. Both units will work well, if you are in an area where there is solid cell service signal strength. However, if you will be traveling where there is not solid cell service signal strength, like off-roading in the boonies, you may want to consider purchasing the unit that has GPS navigation built into the head unit.

Reaction score
Aren't phones cell service and gps seperate systems?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't phones cell service and gps seperate systems?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, they are.

My understanding is that if the head unit does not have its own embedded navigation system, when you hook up your cell phone to the head unit, using say, Android Auto, the cell phone is used as the navigation instrument, and it transfers the map grid and your movements to the head unit's display. The cell phone uses its own connection to the nearest cell tower to connect into the cell network and GPS to lock in the truck's location. As such, Android Auto only knows where the truck is, if the cell phone can connect to a cell tower.

If the head unit has its own built-in navigation system, it connects directly with GPS, using its own antenna. It uses a Garmin-type map repository within the head unit itself, and it updates its repository periodically. (Kenwood actually used Garmin maps when I purchased my Kenwood head unit) As such, the head unit is independent of the cell phone and cell tower availability.

Last edited: