Muffler/Cat questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at 140k my muffler is looking worn for the worst,...heat shield is beginning to make a racket and alot of popping and snapping noises on cool down. Looking for muffler recommendations,... slightly louder then stock on the outside is ok, but dont want any cab noise. Also, is there and success, benefits or detriments in driving a rod through the cat in an attempt to open it up a bit ??? Thank you, Shaw

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of muffler options out there. If you hollow the cats you'll need to turn off the lower O2 sensors or get those adapters that trick them so they don't throw codes.

I like the sound of the Borla, Corsa and Magnaflow systems without drone. Love Flowmasters but they can drone.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So at 140k my muffler is looking worn for the worst,...heat shield is beginning to make a racket and alot of popping and snapping noises on cool down. Looking for muffler recommendations,... slightly louder then stock on the outside is ok, but dont want any cab noise. Also, is there and success, benefits or detriments in driving a rod through the cat in an attempt to open it up a bit ??? Thank you, Shaw
The exhaust would def be louder if you did that to the cat. The honeycomb sort of acts like a resonator for the exhaust. With a hollow cat the exhaust is much louder.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Lots of muffler options out there. If you hollow the cats you'll need to turn off the lower O2 sensors or get those adapters that trick them so they don't throw codes.

I like the sound of the Borla, Corsa and Magnaflow systems without drone. Love Flowmasters but they can drone.

You can also trick the sensors with about
$. 08 worth of resistors from the electronics dept.

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mufflers , this motor sounds great with a lot of different kinds hard to make a bad choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium