Mass air flow sensor bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carpet1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I am asking what do you look for if the sensor is bad or going bad? My 4.8l, 2004, 110,000 miles new to me Tahoe is the vehicle in question. I recently changed wires and plugs. After changing same, the engine kept dying for 10 miles, then runs good now. I went to a auto parts store to buy a fuel filter and I was told the only one was in the tank. Go figure

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure what youre asking. if mass air is acting up, it should throw a light. if youre worried about it being from fuel pressure, borrow a fuel pressure gauge from your local parts store and check it

OP
OP
C

carpet1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My question would be what to look for in engine performance?

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thats a broad question, in regards to what? we still talking about mass air? are you looking for voltage? readings? or are we talking about your fuel pump? fuel pressure?

OP
OP
C

carpet1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess I didn't make much sense in my original question.
1. What, if any, signs are there if a mass air flow sensor starts going bad?
2. Is it a good ideal to replace a sensor at certain mileage?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do get dirty, especially if running an aftermarket cold air intake!! If there aren't any wires broken on the MAF, I'd go to the auto parts store, buy yourself some special MAF cleaner and clean yours out!! Remember, the MAFs are extra fragile so clean it with care!! Unplug the electrical connection, spray the MAF out very well but don't touch the wires at all, also be sure to let it all air dry and DON'T use an air compressor to dry it!! Trust me, it will all dry on it's own!!

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do get dirty, especially if running an aftermarket cold air intake!! If there aren't any wires broken on the MAF, I'd go to the auto parts store, buy yourself some special MAF cleaner and clean yours out!! Remember, the MAFs are extra fragile so clean it with care!! Unplug the electrical connection, spray the MAF out very well but don't touch the wires at all, also be sure to let it all air dry and DON'T use an air compressor to dry it!! Trust me, it will all dry on it's own!!

I thought this could use a bump. I'll be cleaning mine today. I had a Tacoma that kept acting up, like it was starving for fuel. After wasting a bunch of money on crap that didn't fix it the solution ended up being to clean the MAF sensor... took 10 minutes and $5. The truck purred like a kitten after that. My sensor, which was supposed to be the size of a human hair, was so caked up that it was more like the size of a spaghetti noodle. I agree with everything Rivieraracing said. If you have an aftermarket intake (especially one with an oiled filter) pleas check your MAF sensor!

Bill-H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I thought this could use a bump. I'll be cleaning mine today. I had a Tacoma that kept acting up, like it was starving for fuel. After wasting a bunch of money on crap that didn't fix it the solution ended up being to clean the MAF sensor... took 10 minutes and $5. The truck purred like a kitten after that. My sensor, which was supposed to be the size of a human hair, was so caked up that it was more like the size of a spaghetti noodle. I agree with everything Rivieraracing said. If you have an aftermarket intake (especially one with an oiled filter) pleas check your MAF sensor!

I whole heartedly agree with both .

the MAF sensor itself is a thin wire that changes resistance with air flow (the air flow cools it). When they get dirty, all kinds of bad things happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia