MAF sensor readings in g/s ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

777SLK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
MAF sensor readings in g/s ? LongTerm +14% short OK, need help

Hello community,

I am fighting with my hoe about increasing mpg.. at the moment it about 12mpg 80% highway, 20% town.. was ~ 14-16..

Could someone post MAF readings on vehicle with normal MPG more than 14-16? What does it shows on idle?

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and checked and my 5.3 05 yukon is reading 8.6 at idle.

I`m not sure if the reading will change when the engine is warmed up or not so i`ll check it again on my way to work tomorrow and post up any differences.

Around town i get about 15.5 mpg and on the highway i can get as much as 20+ mpg if it`s flat road at 70 mph.

OP
OP

777SLK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just went out and checked and my 5.3 05 yukon is reading 8.6 at idle.

I`m not sure if the reading will change when the engine is warmed up or not so i`ll check it again on my way to work tomorrow and post up any differences.

Around town i get about 15.5 mpg and on the highway i can get as much as 20+ mpg if it`s flat road at 70 mph.

hm... mine have ~5g/s at idle.. no CEL etc, should give a try to put MAF from used parts store just to test it..

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the precat O2 sensors? Reading this forum, those sensors appear to start failing with lousy mpg as the only clue, no CEL. If you got a Scanner that can pull live data, it may show your fuel trims starting get out of range as a more scientific method of investigation. Sorry, not an answer to your question directly in regards to the MAF

OP
OP

777SLK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you looked at the precat O2 sensors? Reading this forum, those sensors appear to start failing with lousy mpg as the only clue, no CEL. If you got a Scanner that can pull live data, it may show your fuel trims starting get out of range as a more scientific method of investigation. Sorry, not an answer to your question directly in regards to the MAF

i bet the answer is connected with the topic direct!
What could I add, at the moment i have exchanged O2 sensors, all 4 to SMP SG450 model (universal oxygen sensor, on ebay ~20$/pc). Vehicle works the same, i do not have at the moment update on consumption rate, but i will have soon.

long/short are -5%~+5% range, so good. Old ones was at the same range, no CEL with old ones. I'll test new ones and reply about consumption.

I use scantool under linux, so if someone likes to share/compare own livedata with others, i would appreciate it :)

why I have started that investigation about consumption, couse I had about 16-18mpg on highway about half year ago, and it suddenly dropped after vehicle was parked for a month.

What is done with vehicle:
changed intake gaskets
changed o2 sensors x4 (today)
cutted out CATs
changed spark plugs
changed wires on spark plugs
=======
tyres are standard demension 31-32" on 16 stock rims
I made suspension lift with torsion keys 2-3" front+rear

Seems like nothing more to add.
Thinking more about vacuum leak, but do not have smoke machine to check it, by long/short terms seems no vacuum leaks appear (if there is, long trim should be +20 at my memory..) am i correct? if short/long good - then no vacuum leak should be

UPDATE...

Short term ~ -2~2%
Long term on one side +10 other +14%... ? what could it be..

Generally no powerloss, engine pulls good; What doest mean that long term? leaking petrol injector or leaking seals somewhere on intake manifold? whats' the best way to find out?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700