Looking for Carpet Dye Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested in anyone's experience with dying the floor carpets.
Ours, being 15 years old, has noticible fade. Being trod on for so long they are well compressed so I'm not expecting miracles but there are "undyed" spots where the doggie cleanup solutions turned out to not be color friendly and it would be nice to get them more uniform.

There appears to be a big difference in material price between clothing dye and automotive carpet dye and I don't know if it is marketing or actual need that sets the automotive dye up in price.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested, too. Cleaned up a dog mess with an enzyme that wasn't color safe, too.

I watched a video of someone using a spray on type and that doesn't interest me at all. Seemed it got clumpy and stiff.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested, too. Cleaned up a dog mess with an enzyme that wasn't color safe, too.

I watched a video of someone using a spray on type and that doesn't interest me at all. Seemed it got clumpy and stiff.
I saw one myself and I thought I heard "paint my carpets". What???

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You'll never get a perfect match just dyeing different spots. I know that wasn't a specific question, but I just wanted to put that out there. I've never personally dyed a carpet, but I know SEM makes excellent products.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll never get a perfect match just dyeing different spots. I know that wasn't a specific question, but I just wanted to put that out there. I've never personally dyed a carpet, but I know SEM makes excellent products.
Of course not. Not looking for perfect nor just a spot fix. Looking for an appropriate material to use that will be permanent and not bleed off.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I've seen someone who dyed their carpet on an old VW. It turned out mediocre. He ended up adding an aftermarket kit. The lesson learned was that the effort to remove, pressure wash, dry, dye and reinstall was not worth the results. The deal breaker was the difference in the areas that were previously discolored. Essentially it turned out to be clean carpet with spots that were discolored.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the automotive spray paint for carpet and it works very well. The key is to run a stiff brush across the painted area before it dry's. This serves to keep the paint from just sticking all the fibers together. I did my H2 several times and an old 70's corvette. You can't tell the difference.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours, being 15 years old, has noticible fade. Being trod on for so long they are well compressed so
Have you considered replacing it? I've seen pre-cut carpet kits out there for several different vehicles. No idea of cost.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered replacing it? I've seen pre-cut carpet kits out there for several different vehicles. No idea of cost.
I can't say that I have the body strength to be wrestling with the seats anymore.
The truck is 15 years old and primarily a dog hauler/hiking vehicle so I am not looking at a restoration level project. More of a spot repair intended.

twentyfour

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on this topic and I've found a couple websites which I've been doing some research on. It looks like this one might be an option for you https://americolordyes.com/automotive-carpet-dye/

I've found this one as well https://www.detailking.com/store-home/auto-reconditioning-kits-supplies/carpet-dyes-and-kits/

There is also duplicolor as well which I saw some videos on YouTube on and that turned out pretty good.

I'm looking to do mine as well.

Does anyone know where to buy a good replacement carpet and what the cost should be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts