leveling kit steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evanrowe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has any body had a issue the tie rod angles. I have a 2001 Tahoe with rc key lift and 1.5 spacers in the rear. 20x10 rims -44 offset.295/60/20 nitto mt's,
I had it re-aligned and it steers great on a flat surface.
The issue I'm having is when I hit a dip or bump in the road the suspension flexes and the truck will jerk or steer left or right. I think ive figured out that the tie rod is moving from at a downward angle to straight and is moving the tires as a result.
I think this is called bump steer.
is anybody else having this issue. i searched and found nothing on it.

OP
OP
evanrowe1

evanrowe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please comment is you have a leveling kit and have not had this issue.
I've searched and found nothing about this issue.I'm wondering if something is wrong with my Tahoe.

large

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is common with a lift I just toed in the front about 3/16" and I added spacers under the bump stops helped greatly

OP
OP
evanrowe1

evanrowe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My shocks are new but stock. I do have the supplied extenders installed.My bump stops are non existent they rotted out before I got the truck.
So that makes sense to have them dampen the flex of the suspension.
Is there any after market tie rod ends that can extend or raise the mounting point correcting the tie rod geometry?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Are your tie rods parallel with your cv axles? The tie rod and the lower control arm should be parallel to one another throughout the travel of the suspension. If it's not you'll get all sorts of wonky issues. That being said it's far easier to take a glance at the axles on these trucks than to calculate the center of the control arm and measure from there.

Having your center link installed either upside down or left-and-right-flipped will cause some pretty bad bump steer. As will anything loose in the steering. Noteably the pitman arm or idler arm

OP
OP
evanrowe1

evanrowe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are at slight different angles. The tie rod mounts to the top of the steering knuckle. So I can't flip it over to gain any height.
If I could buy or even made a spacer to raise the tie rod end up it would fix this issue. My fab skills are decent. But kind of a scary thing to build considering the tire will get ripped off if it fails.
So has anybody seen anything aftermarket like this?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Don't know of any taller tie rods. I would get jounce stops and put a block under them so it's closer to lower arm while cranked up. Then get new pitman and idler arm. See how it feels from that point

OP
OP
evanrowe1

evanrowe1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I plan on doing that tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, they covered it above. Check idler and pitman, new bump stops, tie rods set correct.

Also, that's a lot of offset and rubber, if you're not used to driving a set up like that they will tend to catch and yank all over when you hit a bump or are on a looser surface. But only you drive your truck so you should know if that's the case.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs