Let's talk details....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Most of the mods I had planned for the Escalade are done at this point and now I'm moving onto cosmetics. The exterior finish on these big GM's leaves a little to be desired, seems like the clear is super delicate and susceptible to swirls and scratches. I have never really gotten into at home detailing, but after having a couple of wax jobs done "professionally" and getting less than stellar results, I'm curious. What are you guys using at home to keep your rides looking fresh? Do you prefer pressure washers, foam cannons, hand chamois? What kind of wash, shine, polish, wax, etc. are you using? Let's hear it! Better yet, show off your results!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint correction and a ceramic coating is the best way. It’s expensive up front and a lot of work, especially on these GM land yachts. But so worth it. I detail full time and always recommend a ceramic coating. So many coatings out there to chose from with variance in how long they last. CeramicPro is the best of the best, but you’d have to have a certified detailer to do that job for you. I have had incredibly good results with chemical guys ceramic coatings. They’re hydro line is good stuff. Usually good for about a year. Their new carbon force is even better. Supposedly good up to 5 years. We shall see how long it is actually good for. I coated the front end of my 20”6 Denali with it, as I didn’t want to waste the product on some of my paint that has crappy clearcoat. But the front end had all new paint not too long ago and it’s lasted crazy good through the winter and snow we’ve gotten. I’m thinking to pick up a new bottle this week and use it on a brand new Yukon xl Denali coming in to a client this week. This ceramic coating was done just a few weeks ago with the hydro line from chemical guys. Before:

9B79D198-AD21-4D8E-84C2-D9B73E8276F0.jpeg
And after: A0C389E8-DCCD-4251-B8FE-1A32755C1AA3.jpeg 13457865-E1FE-4CA7-B458-F74415657CF5.jpeg 2F71AAAE-5F64-4054-928A-D47A8B37D0DD.jpeg FDE5929F-F705-4FCB-8350-40ACA2A9FE60.jpeg

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should be interesting with the hundreds of products on the market. You have Chemical Guys, Meguiars, CarGuys, Griot's Garage, Turtle Wax just to name a few and all the new ceramic coatings being offered, take your pick, both do it yourself and professionally. You are going to hear a lot of different opinions, kind of like what is the best oil. I have looked at many and they all have their pros and cons. Too bad you had a bad experience with the professionals as many have used them with good results but they are spendy. Good luck with your decision. Do your research and look at the reviews.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I’ve been doing research on steam cleaning the paint. I’m still not there yet, but it definitely sounds promising.

In the meantime, I’m really liking Chemical Guys’ Blacklight soap (marketed towards dark paints) with their pressure washer soap cannon and their Chenille wash mitts. Here’s after the soap canon...

2FF11019-2503-4F9F-87C7-5248A76969D2.jpeg

I then go ahead and dry it with a 260 MPH Toro electric leaf blower (completely dedicated to drying my vehicles). Here’s a quick video of it in action (I was having quite the time trying to video in one hand and holding that blower in the other!)...

I finish drying by patting dry with Chemical Guys’ Happy Ending towels (usually about 2).

My trucks used to get a hella swirls and scratches (not so much anymore with the drying technique and the fact I’m currently not driving off-road scraping against a bunch of branches anymore). To remove the majority of swirls and scratches I like Meguiars Ultimate Compound and/or Polish. I’m still old school and do the polishing by hand :confused:. Takes a loooong time!

Dang it...I can’t find my good before and after pics of polishing.

I have a few bottles of Avalon King ceramic coating on the shelf, but simply have been too lazy to prep for it and apply it. So, there’s a coat of Meguiars Ultimate Wax on it. I’ll prep it and apply the stuff when the wax wears away in a couple months.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne