Let me get this straight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get my pins turned on for Efans but I am not interested in getting a Full tune at this time (not sure if I am going to do anything to the 5.3 or swap to a 6.0). I am programmed with a Hypertech handheld and I was told by Jenna that I would have to ditch that to have my pins turned on. Which I understand. I am only running the 87 tune with the Hypertech but I am really more concerned with not losing the increased tranny pressure and shift point upgrades I am getting from the Hypertech tune.

So what I am wondering is if I buy a TCI Shift Boss controller would I be able to get my Efan pins turned on and be able to use the TCI controller at the same time or would it be just like the Hypertech situation. Thanks.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin,
Understand your delimma entirely.
The Hypertech is a good programmer, helps tranny shift firmness, etc.

But, I will say that the BB tune will also add more line pressure, firm up shifts, remove torque management, which you will see HUGE gains in passing gear or WOT. The Hypertech wont adjust that. You can tune UP to the 93, but still run 87 if you feel you want the cheaper gas, or use 91 for optimal gains. Plus, get the pins turned on and free retunes when if ever needed, or you make other changes.

I went a year on the fence, tune or handheld ( we get Jobber price on Superchips) and I ended up with a BB tune. Hands down best gains. Compared to buddies that did use Hypertech, and SC, they drove mine and was sadly disappointed with theirs.

Just adding info, hope this helps. :)

OP
OP
fire730

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was really just trying to get my Efan pins turned on since they were going to be here in New Orleans. I dont even have my fans yet.

So I can run 87 in my truck if I am BB tuned for 93? I really need to do some maintenance work on my truck (plugs, wires, and fuel filter) before I will even run the Hypertech 93 tune in my truck. I was getting pinging just from running 87 in it with the 87 Hypertech tune. Now I am running 93 with the 87 tune to keep it from pinging.

Maybe sometime later I will get it tuned when I have some spare cash to throw around and I get my Efans.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, if your getting pinging ( detonation) with 87, you might want to address that before stepping up in either tune.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are getting detonation, I would recommend trying a different gas station- sounds like poor quality gas.

OP
OP
fire730

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No but I need to do that along with changing my plugs, wires, and fuel filter. It will be soon though cause I am driving on a long trip in about 5 weeks. I've owned truck for about a year and I am so busy fixing other peoples cars I don't have time to do the maintenance that I should on my own stuff. It has about 115k miles on it and it sounds like it may have a lifter or 2 that are sticking.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 'good' cleaner...love this stuff.
0905gmhtp_04_z+crc+mass_air_flow_sensor_cleaner.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts