Leaking Shark Fin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock Strong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 Yukon Denali XL, Shark Fin Leaking When Rain Is Heavy. Is Anyone else having this issue. Dealer said it's no recall but I think that it should be. Leaking all on radio and control's. There's a small opening in the rear of the Shark fin antenna but not the front, so the water is coming in the vehicle... Any idea on how to get them to cover this repair. Now the radio not working...

wu6fiend

Reaction score
Super, super common. I had to get mine fixed (twice). When I delivered my Yukon (2016) to the first dealership, there was a nearly new Sierra/Silverado next to me. I asked what it was there for, and the answer was "water leak from the shark fin". And the loaner Suburban they gave me also had a water leak lol. A friend has a 2019 HD Sierra; also had a leaking shark fin. Mine took two trips to two different dealerships to fix, and they wound up replacing the shark fin and sending it to the body shop on the second go (they said the sheet metal wasn't completely flat under the fin, like the bolts were overtightened at the factory or something). Anyway, second time was the charm, and the vehicle has been dry as a bone since the second fix (which was about 2018 IIRC). Do a search on this forum, you will find plenty of evidence this is a long standing problem, and leaking shark fins are found on GM pickups, vans, and full size SUV's.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with GM customer service they may be able to offer some assistance, a known issue.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 Yukon Denali XL, Shark Fin Leaking When Rain Is Heavy. Is Anyone else having this issue. Dealer said it's no recall but I think that it should be. Leaking all on radio and control's. There's a small opening in the rear of the Shark fin antenna but not the front, so the water is coming in the vehicle... Any idea on how to get them to cover this repair. Now the radio not working...
You want someone else to pay for you to maintain your six year old vehicle? Come on man.

Go to the auto parts store, get some Permatex clear RTV and run a thin bead all around the antenna. The stuff that got wet inside ought to dry out in a few days when it gets hot out.

You can replace it fairly easily once you know what to take apart and how to do it. On mine it just requires a 10mm socket and ratchet and small torque wrench.

1687144620557.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia