Lame Question of The Week/Month/Year: OE Rear License Plate Screws & Alternates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Y'all,

I need to replace the license plate screws on my '13, as the existing ones have rust spots (quite annoying for a vehicle that's been in the Atlanta area all its life) and there are only two of them. The OE ones are absurdly priced everywhere (~$5+ each) and look like commodity galvanized low-grade fasteners that you scoop out of a bin and pay for by the pound, so I'm not keen on staying with those.

What aftermarket or alternate screws have Y'all used? I'm a McMaster-Carr fanboy, so if anyone has an appropriate P/N for some from them, that would be great.

Details:

1) I won't be using any license plate frame, just the plate itself held by the four screws.
2) This is for the rear only (Georgia does not issue front plates and I won't otherwise be installing one up front).

Thanks,
Scrappy

OP
OP
Scrappycrow

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Well, I happened to be at the hardware store, so I went by the fastener aisle and found the Hillman "License Plate Screws" tray. I picked four of these up at $1.19 each. The membrane on the lower two previously-unused plastic nut inserts needed to be punctured by an awl for these to screw in.PXL_20240119_202009028~2.jpgPXL_20240119_210550559.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts