Is this vehicle TOO big?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Close to pulling the trigger on a Yukon or an Escalade, but I’m just wondering from a current drivers, is this vehicle just too big for daily use and driving? I need the space occasionally, but for most of its life it’s going to be just me and my wife. Is this thing just too big a boat to have on a daily basis, or do you just get used to it like anything else? Just don’t want to make a mistake buying something that’s hard to park and just overly huge on a daily basis...

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short wheelbase models are great. Extremely maneuverable, excellent turning radius, etc. Long wheelbase still drives small but is the overall size of a typical half ton truck.

Unless you’re parallel parking in tiny downtown spaces every single day the size of the truck is just something you’ll get used to and will be 2nd nature in no time.

Corren

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went from a F-150 Quad Cap 5.5 box to a Yukon XL. Feels smaller than my Pickup. Better turning radius. I'd wager the regular size are even better. You adjust quickly if you haven't driven a big vehicle.

Reaction score
I went from a 2007 Tahoe to a 2012 Yukon to a 2016 Yukon and now to a 2021 Tahoe, so mine was a gradual move up in vehicle size to get used to. It is a big vehicle, so if you're not used to driving a large SUV or pick-up, it will take some time to get used to it. But as mentioned above, you have cameras on all 4 sides to help, and they do really help you get started. I will say though, I am a little worried about my future trips up to Chicago to visit our daughter that lives in the city. :)

wu6fiend

Reaction score
I've found our SWB Denali to be too big at times, particularly when parking (spots here are getting narrower and narrower as developers try to maximize their returns); I'm also extremely careful about underground parking (unless it is a clear 7' tall, I won't even attempt going inside). I find the 2021 model sightlines (particularly the front corners) to be even worse than the 2015-2020 models, which IMO were worse than the 2007-2014's. Yes these vehicles "drive small" (I guess) but you cannot ignore their sheer size. There are times I prefer to take my wife's new Cadillac XT4, particularly in congested downtown streets and lots. I would suggest that unless you absolutely need the XL/Suburban, the SWB should be just fine, and is a good compromise.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I find it easier to drive than our old Camry. Possibly because of the rear camera. You’ll love it!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
It’s all perspective, my daily is a 2500 pickup with four doors, so the Tahoe feels small. The turning radius is great. Blind spot to the RR corner is bad, though.
Conversely if I spend much time in my Jeep, the Tahoe feels bigger.

If you’re on the fence, rent one for a couple of days and spend some time with it. A ten minute test drive won’t give you enough exposure to really get a feeling for it.

Reaction score
I agree you get used to it pretty quick. We traded a 2011 Expedition for a 2021 Yukon SLT. Have had it a month. It sits higher than the Expy and is a tad longer. Drives like a dream and is very maneuverable. Yesterday drove from northern MI to Minneapolis, 650 miles with the last 100 miles in snow, wind with single lane traffic on I-94. Minneapolis got 7-8 inches and the Yukon handled great - 4 wheel drive kept us from sliding around and we were glad we had the size and weight of the Yukon.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies... I'm pretty sure it will work for us. I drive a Grand Cherokee now, but with more grandchildren and more junk.. well you get the picture.

I have no garage issues, I built mine 26' sq with an 18' door on it. We plan on getting a SWB 4WD Denali diesel, Fuel economy is one of the things that attracts me to the lineup as we drive 3-400 miles at least once a month to visit my daughter and 25-3000 miles roundtrip in the winter to FL. I have spent many years with diesels and know their quirks, not afraid at all of the Duramax... We think it will be the perfect road vehicle. Our main issue is daily driving (and parking..) to stores and shopping/dining, but I plan to park as far away as necessary to stay out of the fray.

As one person mentioned above, ya , Chicago type trips are pretty scary, especially if you want to park down town. We used to take yearly trips there, but that landscape has now changed and we don't see that happening anytime in the near future. We also could drive a smaller vehicle (her vehicle..)to tight urban areas.... I'm also in the camp of the above poster of you can't really have enough metal around you, and big does = safety in my book. We used to have a late 90's Tahoe years ago, and I still miss that expansive space inside.

It would be interesting to hear what wives think about driving it, as at times we HAVE to switch vehicles for various reasons. This whole thread was prompted by my wife saying "But is this vehicle TOO big for us?" Once they get an idea in their heads, sometime its hard to dispel it !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts