Intermittent Rear A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex s

Reaction score
New to the forum with a question..
I have an 04 Suburban 1500, I have cold AC in the front, but the rear only rarely works. I have owned the truck for about a year and in that time the rear AC has worked maybe a month off and on. It either does nothing as if I do not even have AC back there, or all functions work and it blows cold. Sometimes it will be a month or more in between it working or not. I have taken the rear plastic trim off and have not noticed anything loose. Any help would be appreciated.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forum with a question..
I have an 04 Suburban 1500, I have cold AC in the front, but the rear only rarely works. I have owned the truck for about a year and in that time the rear AC has worked maybe a month off and on. It either does nothing as if I do not even have AC back there, or all functions work and it blows cold. Sometimes it will be a month or more in between it working or not. I have taken the rear plastic trim off and have not noticed anything loose. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the controller is on the fritz. But don't throw parts at it, get a Tech-2 on it and check for internal codes and check the freon level back there. Welcome to the forum btw.

OP
OP
alex s

alex s

Reaction score
Sounds like the controller is on the fritz. But don't throw parts at it, get a Tech-2 on it and check for internal codes and check the freon level back there. Welcome to the forum btw.

Thanks. I would imagine the freon levels are fine though or it would not blow cold, even intermittenly. The rear blower also works fine, as I put 12v to it and it moves as it should.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take it apart and flip the little door that controls hot/cold manually
I had a host of problems with mine as well. Wait till your rear blower runs all by itself with everything in the off position.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I would imagine the freon levels are fine though or it would not blow cold, even intermittenly. The rear blower also works fine, as I put 12v to it and it moves as it should.

I thought that once too. AC would blow cold but blower would stop, drove us crazy. Checked the doors, fans, etc. Turned out to be low on freon. It would kick on and blow cold, as pressures increased so did temp and computer shut system down. Protections I had not heard of nor was used to and didn't know about them.

MikeW

Reaction score
02 Tahoe. I put up with this same issue for YEARS?MONTHS. Even took it to dealer couple of years ago before I thought I got smart. They replaced rear resistor (duh). Worked for about 6 months. Started the on/off thing on its own. Thought I'd be smart and had to order resistor from GMParts. Changed it, patted myself on back, worked for 1 month. Took it in for an oil change earlier this week at friends Meineke and for ***** and giggles had him take a shot at it.... I never thought of the blower motor (its only 18 yrs old) and would you know - he changed it. No it blows cold air, turns on and off at switch etc. Feeling comfortable in cold air - but stupid at the same time!

OP
OP
alex s

alex s

Reaction score
02 Tahoe. I put up with this same issue for YEARS?MONTHS. Even took it to dealer couple of years ago before I thought I got smart. They replaced rear resistor (duh). Worked for about 6 months. Started the on/off thing on its own. Thought I'd be smart and had to order resistor from GMParts. Changed it, patted myself on back, worked for 1 month. Took it in for an oil change earlier this week at friends Meineke and for ***** and giggles had him take a shot at it.... I never thought of the blower motor (its only 18 yrs old) and would you know - he changed it. No it blows cold air, turns on and off at switch etc. Feeling comfortable in cold air - but stupid at the same time!
I have not replaced the rear blower yet but I will try it. Although If I put 12 volts to the blower (via a junkyard pigtail) it works fine...

Antdogbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue with my front, almost, ac is now blowing cold, but when I stomp the loud pedal it gets hot,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep