Intermittent A/C?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sambrutay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a strange problem with my AC that I've never really experienced with any other cases l vehicles before. 2011 Escalade and the AC works intermittently. Typically when I first start my truck up in the morning the AC works fine, blows cold air like I've been used to for the past 5 years, however after about 10-20 minutes it just stops blowing cold air, it's not quite ambient temperature but it's nowhere cold enough to keep me cool. If I shut the car off and run into a store or something, it repeats this behavior, but the cold doesn't last as long this time.

Would this happen if it was low on refrigerant? My other cars wouldn't get cold at all onelce the refrigerant got below whatever minimum threshold it needed ll to be at, never intermittently. Obviously if it's low there's a leak somewhere, so before I open the system, and have to replace the drier/fix the leak/vacuum it out, I was wondering if it might be a sensor or switch that triggers the compressor? Could the compressor clutch be the issue, that once everything warms up and expands it no longer works as it should?

Thanks
Interested in knowing what you found with this problem.

Trilla_one

Reaction score
Have a similar issue with my 07 Tahoe. For the past year and a half i've had an intermittent cold then not cold on the driver side climate control(passenger side is always cold). Was too infrequent to be concerned with so I left it alone. Then I noticed I would only get cold air if the temp was set to 60 degrees. Anything from 61 to 90 would be HOT. Brought it to GM last summer and they said it was the blend doors under the dash that were causing it. They were charging too much to replace them so I had another shop do it but it didn't fix the issue. I was able to get by until winter but now in the height of summer I have no choice but to address.

It's gotten worse. The driver side doesn't get cold at all anymore and feels like just the fan circulating, the passenger side feels like the temp coming out is 75 degrees when its blowing full blast on 60, and it no longer switches to heat if I bring the temp up to 90. I brought it to another shop and told them the story and they said it's likely the "A/c regulator" which they have to rip out the entire dash to get to and a $4000+ job!! I asked him if he was smoking crack. That's almost half what I paid for the whole truck lol.

I'm lost. If anyone has any ideas or can confirm this please share. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE