Interior gas smell!!!! Help!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

youngsnappy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
last saturday i filled up my new to me 06 denali and as i sat in the vehicle talking to a few friends i noticed the pump did not shut off and overflowed approximately 4-5 gallons on the ground as the truck was still running (i know, not the best idea ever) and now there is a lingering gas smell on the interior of the truck (i have thoroughly searched to see if it could have leaked inside but no luck, even ran it through the car wash to see if that would help, no luck) i have ran over a 1/4 of a tank of gas through it since and the smell will slowly go away as i drive but if it sits for a while or overnight it returns with a vengence. i am at my wits ends and this really is pissing me off considering ive only had it for 2 weeks. one guy told me it may have leaked into the evap canister (????) and if so, it needs to be replaced. i need any input before i just start throwing parts at the thing. also, there are no check engine lights or driveability problems (although it did die twice after i turned it off at the gas station after the spillage when i started to drive again, but nothing since)

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont get offended but only idiots leave their trucks running when filling up gas. what were you thinking ? as for the smell good luck finding what it is. if you care baout your safety and others then your truck needs to be off when filling up. another spillage and maybe an exhaust spark or something might not end up being the best idea out there.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and what you don't realize getting back into your truck is just as bad. static discharge ain't ya friend when you standing in gas.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back in like 2003 in my home town we had to very bad gas station explosions do to this, granted im from a very hot place and shit combusts very fast during the summer, but as far as the gas smell i have no input but does the truck stumble or anything before it dies?

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
You sure you didn't get it all over your shoes? Maybe it's on the floor mats.

Pretty much anything you touched getting back in the truck could have gas on it due to it splashing all over the place and possibly on you and your clothes. Maybe even someting inside that you touched with your hands???

BH

Huck

Whut Thee Huck?!
Reaction score
probably got on your tires, and the backing in the wheel well. 5 gallons is a lot of gas to dump on the ground. you could have just sent me 20 bucks.