Installing a rear view backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m installing a rear view backup camera. (The g/f has the camera in her car, and that’s just a car, I can only imagine her backing up the Tahoe!)
I’m seeing a bunch of relatively inexpensive camera and monitor DIY packages.
I actually installed one of those wireless camera/ monitor units, and it’s terrible. Way too much interference to make it usable, and it doesn’t have the grid in the too-small viewer.

So I’m just going to return it and get one that’s wired, and it’ll be cheaper! It’ll have the camera in the license plate holder and the monitor on the dash.

My question is, where is a good place to bring the wires into the cabin near the dash? (I figured I’d just run the wires under the car, not thru the interior.) i’d rather not drill a hole.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drivers side firewall to the left and under the brake booster area you'll see other wires running in the cab, you can push through there. how i got my wideband wires inside the cab on my own.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I’m installing a rear view backup camera. (The g/f has the camera in her car, and that’s just a car, I can only imagine her backing up the Tahoe!)
I’m seeing a bunch of relatively inexpensive camera and monitor DIY packages.
I actually installed one of those wireless camera/ monitor units, and it’s terrible. Way too much interference to make it usable, and it doesn’t have the grid in the too-small viewer.

So I’m just going to return it and get one that’s wired, and it’ll be cheaper! It’ll have the camera in the license plate holder and the monitor on the dash.

My question is, where is a good place to bring the wires into the cabin near the dash? (I figured I’d just run the wires under the car, not thru the interior.) i’d rather not drill a hole.
I ran mine inside without drilling any holes. I have the type that uses two bolts for the lucense plate, along with a double din. I just ran the wires from the camera going between the rubber weatherstripping to under the plastic panels on the passenger side all the way to the front, under the dash into the headunit. I spliced into the green reverse light under the dash on the driver side. No holes drilled, and my wires aren't exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
Steve Waddington

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received my new backup camera today. (Got a full refund for the other POS) Ran the wires inside under the plastic trim pieces (like you did, Tony) along the driver's side, up under the dash, and the monitor mounted nicely in the top cubby in the console. VERY clean, no wires showing.

I decided to go with the on/off switchable cigarette lighter adapter (which actually doesn't go in the cigarette lighter, it goes in the power outlet) which powers the entire system and isn't dependant on the car being in reverse, so I can turn it on any time I want.
(Kinda cool to look out the windshield to see where you are going, and look in the monitor to see where you've been! LOL!) Actually, while maneuvering in tight spots, it might be advantageous to keep it on going forward and back.

IMG_1642.2.jpg

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1636.jpg

The picture is just OK, and has the 'green/yellow/red' grid lines in the pic to supposedly help with parking. We'll see. It was dark when I was done with installation, so we'll see what it looks like in the sunlight tomorrow. It has those little 'infra-red" L.E.D.s, that help the camera see in the dark. Worked pretty well tonight. I really don't need it to park, the mirrors are huge on this Tahoe, but it might come in handy for really tight parallel street parking.

It was only 27.00 shipped (Amazon prime!) and it seems like a cool little system for the $$.
(The wire showing in the bottom of the bottom pic is my phone charger)

View attachment 206811

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I received my new backup camera today. (Got a full refund for the other POS) Ran the wires inside under the plastic trim pieces (like you did, Tony) along the driver's side, up under the dash, and the monitor mounted nicely in the top cubby in the console. VERY clean, no wires showing.

I decided to go with the on/off switchable cigarette lighter adapter (which actually doesn't go in the cigarette lighter, it goes in the power outlet) which powers the entire system and isn't dependant on the car being in reverse, so I can turn it on any time I want.
(Kinda cool to look out the windshield to see where you are going, and look in the monitor to see where you've been! LOL!) Actually, while maneuvering in tight spots, it might be advantageous to keep it on going forward and back.

View attachment 206815

View attachment 206812

View attachment 206813

The picture is just OK, and has the 'green/yellow/red' grid lines in the pic to supposedly help with parking. We'll see. It was dark when I was done with installation, so we'll see what it looks like in the sunlight tomorrow. It has those little 'infra-red" L.E.D.s, that help the camera see in the dark. Worked pretty well tonight. I really don't need it to park, the mirrors are huge on this Tahoe, but it might come in handy for really tight parallel street parking.

It was only 27.00 shipped (Amazon prime!) and it seems like a cool little system for the $$.
(The wire showing in the bottom of the bottom pic is my phone charger)

View attachment 206811
So much better running it inside then drilling holes. Nice job on the install. Thinking about installing a double din? You'd be able to get rid of the monitor.

OP
OP
Steve Waddington

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much better running it inside then drilling holes. Nice job on the install. Thinking about installing a double din? You'd be able to get rid of the monitor.

Definitely on my ‘eventually list’! I’m doing the necessities first. Next up on the ‘necessities list’ is the cargo- cover/ shade.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I’m using. In the interim anyway.
Don't get me wrong I would love an actual official cargo cover/shade too but i can't justify the expense. Those things are scarce and ridiculously priced. Can't believe nobody made up a cheap knock off to sell, they would make a killing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345