installing 6x9s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, was not asking you, was asking OP. :)

Didnt know if he already had them, or limited space, etc...

I'd do slim 10's or four 8's , but agree, there are some good 6x9's...but most are coax, or triaxle. If he's looking for bass, hard to find just ( non-coax) 6x9's.

Ill admit.. when i seen the name of this post i came in a lil biased .. cause.. i heard two of these on a box made for a jeep swing out door... they replaced a 12 L7 just because of box design.. and they might not climb down as low.. but on 200w rms each the two of them EAT that 1 12 alive.. so ever since i heard that i have been obsessed with someone putting 4 under the 2nd row.

http://www.addictive-audio.com/products/nfw69/

th_8dae45a68093ead8a91970f3885d14e9_1284080592nfwMAINPROD.jpg

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they look to be good to decent midbass drivers.

like i said ...i think 4 under the second row would make amazing fill...

i think 4 pair of focals in the doors.. 4 of these in the second row then some low low (a coulple of 12s behind the 3rd or whatever) in the back would be an INSANE daily driver setup..

the 12 l7 obviously got lower.. but these were sooo full

They definitely have more bottom end than most the shallow mounts ive heard..

OP
OP
M

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well i want more sound from the back not just bass thats why i was liking the 6x9s w/ the pair of tweeters. so should i tear out the plastic under the 2nd row bucket seats and then see if get more room?

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well i want more sound from the back not just bass thats why i was liking the 6x9s w/ the pair of tweeters. so should i tear out the plastic under the 2nd row bucket seats and then see if get more room?

Well bass is part of the sound spectrum youre looking for... and its the part thats missing in the stock system, dont think of bass as this windsheild rattling earth quaking thing, just think of it as what it is.. part of the music youre listening to .. and well.. the part your missing.

So that being said.. this is what you need to ask your self do i want a fuller thicker sound , or am i looking for more volume.

Either way.. adding more full range speakers is not the answer..

But here are your options and why...

(1)Put nicer door speakers in! You will get a better sound out of them and if you run them to their own amp you will be able to get louder sound as well as cleaner and fuller sound since they will more than likely reproduce midbass better than the stock speakers.

(if you havent done this yet.. stop here.. and go do this.. this should be step one to ANY car audio system unless youre running something ultra high end)

(2)Put in a bass system that is capable of producing nice midbass tones.. a couple 8s.. some 6x9 SUBs (aka NOT a co-ax or tri-ax). This will allow you to tune the bass tones OUT of your stock system. Now you can push more high/mid and high tones out of the stock speakers because they wont be stressing to produce the bass notes. This way your stock speakers can sounds as good as possible.

Either way.. adding cheap 6x9s to a cheap system is NOT the cheap or best answer.

OP
OP
M

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok that definitely makes sense and i dont think my bose is that bad just think i need more sound from the back all i hear is the front door and pillar speakers

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok that definitely makes sense and i dont think my bose is that bad just think i need more sound from the back all i hear is the front door and pillar speakers

well let it be noted.. the "bose" bose produces for car audio.. is the worst "bose" bose makes. .and their GM level is the lowest.

But yea... its still not a horrible system.

Well if you go the adding speakers option this is the cheapest and best way..

I would try fading it to the rear a few clicks then adding a lil midbass. The make a nice prefab box for 2 8s or shallow mount 10s under the 2nd row seat for like $100 and then you can get some shallow 8s or 10s for less then $100 a piece and im sure you can find a cheap amp somewhere for even less than that.

This will let you turn some of the bass out of your stock system and fade to the rear a hair.. and since the stock system will have less bass in it it will let you turn it up more.. so youll get more volume AND a fuller sound.. which will sound louder anyway.

OP
OP
M

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i emaild the addictive audio about these 6x9 subs and he said that they only work in ported enclosures and some infinite bafffle/rear deck applications. I know what the ported enclosure is but what is the bafffle and rear deck applications?

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
infinte baffle means free air.. basically.. it just means seperating the front phase from the rear.. so like in the rear deck of a car... where one phase (the back of the speaker) would be going into the trunk and the other phase would be going into the car...

I tried to look up box specs on those but without emailing him i dont know cause his site is still shit (has been since 99 lol.. hes super hands on so he cant built top end speakers AND websites i guess.. lol)

But 6x9s aside

In the process of this starting we have started working on Skys 2nd row setup and found out this route though..

We found downfiring 2nd row boxes thought with a 4.5 and 5.5 mounting depth.. for less than $100.. and you can get shallow mount 8s for as little as .. $70 for the kickers..

so for about $300 loaded (no amp) you can have the box and the subs under the seat.. and be DONE no custom building or fitting or crazy shit..

you could do 10s too.. same box.. a few dollars more per sub.

OP
OP
M

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so now your saying skip the 6x9s all together?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper