Injector (P0204) and Misfire (P0300) help needed; 2015 - L83 Engine (5.3L)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00Bullitt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2015 LTZ has 175k miles on it and until the past few months has been flawless aside from the Magnetic Ride Control.

We bought it used in 2017 with 80k miles on it and I immediately tuned it (93 Perf/Tow from 5Star) and disabled the AFM. The truck has been great and had plenty of noticeable power gains on the 93 Tune.

It started misfiring a few months ago which is indicated by the flashing CEL; yet we never felt it. I assume the computer mitigated by adjusting timing accordingly. It started to do it more and more so we had the tune adjusted for 91 yet still fed it 93 (assumed we were getting bad/weak 93 fuel). The problem still continued on occasion. Well, next it threw the P0204 (#4 injector circuit/open) code along with the P0300. Once it started throwing the P0204 code, the truck would shake and skip while driving, but you could pull over, shut it down and restart it and it was gone. This became a very intermittent issue at first and then progressively got worse to the point we took it to the shop and they replaced the #4 injector. For about a week, the problem did not occur and then it started again, but still intermittent (sometimes would go days without issue). Continued to drive it for several more weeks just stopping and restarting the engine to clear it out. Finally it progressed enough to the point we took it back to the shop and they replaced the same injector under warranty. Guess what......still continues to do it and this last time it threw a P0202 (#2 injector circuit/open) code; first time I've seen that one and its only done it once so far. The shop is baffled, they are clueless and think its the PCM. I'm not convinced its the PCM. I was convinced it was a possible wire issue as we have chipmunks that get up in the vehicles at the house. The shop checked the wiring and could not find anything suspect. Checked all up under the PCM and the harness leading to the injectors up the backside of the block. Ground on the back of the cylinder heads was good.
If I'm not mistaken the L83 has two fuel pumps? If so, it almost seems as if the high pressure pump is failing under demand and then cuts off only leaving the low side pump to run the vehicle insufficiently for a direct injected engine. A restart resets the pump and cures the problem until the next instance. Seems to be the instances happen mostly under command of power.
Is that a feasible issue? How can I confirm? I have an OBD MXII scan tool which can monitor every PID the fuel injection sees. It will also datalog.

Would the high side and low side fuel trims be indicative? If so, what range should they be? I have not checked fuel pressure yet. What is the spec for that?

Hoping someone else has had this issue and can offer guidance. This is driving me nuts because its driving my wife nuts as its her truck. She wants it fixed or wants a new car. Considering we just paid it off last month, I'm not apt to get a new vehicle for a bit. I'm determined to solve it, but despise throwing parts at things with hope that was it; especially considering the cost of some of such parts.

As a note, we did replace plugs/wires at 150k.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP

00Bullitt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the last few days the problem has gotten significantly worse and two new symptoms have surfaced. There is a prolonged start where the engine turns over for about 3 solid seconds before firing (seems like it is not getting fuel but does not do this every time; maybe 1 out of every 6 times. The cooling fans have also been staying on after engine shutdown for about 10 minutes; both of them. Not sure if that's related or not, but its new.

The L83 has 2 fuel pumps. A high pressure engine mounted unit for the direct injection and then a booster pump in the tank. I'm quite certain that its one of the two. I'm thinking that the way the prolonged start happens that the booster in the tank is starting to go.....also contributing to the misfire/injection issues. Any thoughts from anyone? Any good test methodology to root out the cause?

Merry Christmas All!

OP
OP

00Bullitt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drove it some with the OBDMX hooked up to monitor several PIDS; although not real sure what I'm seeing. I definitely see different results before and during the occurrence.

There is a "Fuel System Status 1 /2" PID. It shows 2.0 when it runs normal and goes to 8.0 as soon as the CEL starts flashing.

I have "Fuel Rail Pressure A & B" measured in inHg. A is consistently 100-200 inHg more than B. This pressure changes with power and ranges from 1100 up to 3500. There is a Commanded Fuel Pressure A & B also. A always reads about 100 less than Fuel Rail Pressure displayed. B shows 0. I assume this is part of the problem?

I have a PID that is called "Fuel Rail Pressure (Gauge)" and one that is called "Fuel Rail Pressure". Gauge reads about 40-70 psi. The other pressure reads about 1100-1400 psi.

I monitored the O2 Sensor Banks as well as the Short Fuel Trims on all banks visible (just clueless as to what I'm seeing):

O2 Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1 Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 1
O2 Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2 Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 2
O2 Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1 Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 Sensor 1
O2 Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 Sensor 2

I don't see PIDS for Long Term Fuel Trims; only for "Long Term Fuel % Trim"
I got codes of P0202, P0204 and P0302 specifically this time. Not the generic P0300.

When the CEL starts flashing, the O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1 go to zero whereas prior to the occurrence they flip flop to .8v. Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 2 seem to stay at .8v.

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 1 & Bank 2 Sensor 1 reads low numbers and then goes to zero when the situation occurs. Bank 1 Sensor 2 & Bank 2 Sensor 2 seems to stay at 92.1%

What is the chance that the actual injectors are going bad right after replacing them? Injectors are a known issue in the L83's but more centered around excessive carbon buildup and exposure to heat.

I live in South Carolina right at the GA state line. Is anyone familiar with a good diagnostician of EFI or more specifically Chevy EFI engines? I want this thing fixed.

If you can advise what PIDS to monitor, I can watch them. I can even datalog if needed with the Derive software that I use to tune the vehicle.

OP
OP

00Bullitt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Temps the last few days have been colder than normal with highs just being mid 40's. The truck has been operated in the low to mid 30's. The problem has not occurred in this colder weather. Would that indicate a problem that points more to a Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor or Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor? Would those not throw a CEL?

Seems like the colder it is, the longer it takes for the situation to occur if at all.

Any ideas?

OP
OP

00Bullitt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Temps the last few days have been colder than normal with highs just being mid 40's. The truck has been operated in the low to mid 30's. The problem has not occurred in this colder weather. Would that indicate a problem that points more to a Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor or Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor? Would those not throw a CEL?

Seems like the colder it is, the longer it takes for the situation to occur if at all.

Any ideas?
Ok, scratch that theory. Was doing it this morning in 26 degrees. Ugghhh! I'm about to burn it to the ground!

Russ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Injector codes are set when the PCM monitors the circuit and the inductive spike seen on the circuit when the injector is pulsed does not match what the PCM accepts as normal. The fault is in the injector, the wiring/connectors, or within the PCM.
Everything is based on the fact that the PCM power and ground circuits are are good, the harness/connections are good, and the injector is good.
I would not suspect a faulty new injector if it is OEM.

OP
OP

00Bullitt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would anyone know of a good diagnostic shop in Northeast GA or SW SC that could help me? I am at my wits end.

What baffles me and leads me to believe it is not mechanical in any way is that I can do a crank sensor relearn and it runs fine for about 20-30 minutes and then goes into misfiring and rough idle. Very electronic. Just not a good electrical troubleshooter at all.

When its cold it runs fine also, as it gets to temp, CEL starts flashing. I can stop, shut it off and restart and it runs fine for several minutes. Rough idle that smooths out as load increases.

Last edited:
OP
OP

00Bullitt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Problem has been solved. My plan was to replace the two injectors that were coding again. Being a DFI engine, the intake has to be removed to expose them. Last time I paid someone because of time constraints. This time I did it.

Got the manifold off in about 30min. The wiring harness that feeds the injector banks was at the rear of #8 (back left corner looking at truck). I started tracing the harness back and saw where it had been pinched by the transmission bell housing. Worked it loose, got enough slack to work with it, opened it up and saw where two wires were exposed from rubbing. Several strands were cut. Im guessing it was the edge of the firewall making intermittent contact. One was worse than the other.
Repaired them and reassembled everything. Did not replace #2 & #4 injector to ensure that was in fact the issue.
CEL turned itself off and no more codes in the last 100 miles. Truck is back to full power and purrs nicely.

Man what a headache!!!! Was so close to throwing a thermite in the engine compartment.

Russ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad to hear you were able to pinpoint the problem, few things are ever as simple as we might hope for them to be. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645