In the market for a 07-08 Tahoe or Yukon Denali. Input Appreciated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ennis_D

Reaction score
Evening guys and gals!

First off, yes I am a n00b to the site. I have been doing some browsing in the past few weeks checking things out and researching various topics associated with the NNBS (if my lingo is correct) Tahoes and Yukons. My wife and I are currently in the market for a Tahoe or Yukon Denali and I would like to hear what you guys have to say about overall condition and price of ones we are interested in.

Here is Upstate SC, everything seems to be in the 130-160k mile range and pricing from $17-mid->high $18k. Our target price is at the $17k mark and we would obviously like to get the best truck for the money. If we could get one down around the mid-low $16k's, that would be considered a steal to us around here with the prices of what we have seen so far.

My wife drives a '08 Acura TSX while I drive a '91 Honda Civic Hatch (not a ricer mobile, just a get-around-towner :rofl:). We recently welcomed our first child back in December and need something with more room. We paid her car off at the first of the year and are "ready" to make another purchase for me. The truck will be something we use for around town on the nights and weekends as well as road trips and vacation. With the car seat/carrier in her car now, the front passenger seat has to be so far forward it leaves little room for sitting in the front. Do we want another car payment, no, but I feel we are in a situation to where its not an option and I am for spending the extra money every month to have the little one in something larger and safer than any of our two vehicles.

Sorry, long winded there. Short story:

- In the market
- Would like a larger truck for space and safety for 2.5mo old child
- My car is obviously not a family car and hers isnt either once child seat is installed

During my research, we have come to realize that the A/C button issue is SUPER common and are okay with that. Rear hatch shock problems, dash cracks, steering wheel trim flaking/peeling, radio buttons turning green, etc are all common issues that can be fix/resolved and is something that "comes with the territory" with these trucks. We are not expecting to purchase a 100% mint truck as obviously they are used. We are just trying to buy the best bang for the buck!

I am here to post some trucks we have been looking at.

- 07 Yukon Denali 159,181 miles, 3 owner, accident free, $17,950

We looked at this black Denali this past Saturday but the lot was already closed. Paint and body seem to be in good condition. I know black shows EVERYTHING and there wasn't much in the imperfection market to be seen. We are talking a used vehicle here so I understand little dings and fixable scratches. I think it may have had some door dings in the door moldings from parking lots but that issue is curable. Only issue I saw was some clear coat oxidation on the roof behind the sunroof. Its on the top so not a huge concern and its something that CAN be fixed if so desired. Leather was in good shape for the year and typical looks of other trucks. We are going to view and drive it tomorrow after work. '07 Denali CarFax

1421358683914.jpg

These next two are trucks that we are interested in but have yet to see or drive. We hope to make it to this lot in N. Georgia Friday after work but its 1hr 45min from us. I have contacted the lot to see if they could accommodate us arriving around 6pm on Friday and if these are still available. If all goes well, we will check them out Friday evening.

- '08 Chevy Tahoe, Z71, 145,045mi, Loaded, $18.3k

Great looking truck. May not be able to talk them down to our price range. Minor damage accident reported on CarFax on 6/28/13. Rear-end collision, involving right side impact, air bags did not deploy. Minor damage can be cosmetic damage that could have been repaired or panels replaced. Minor we are not worried about as long as its not visible as far as repairs and paint goes. '08 Tahoe Z71 CarFax

082763_640480.jpg

- '08 Yukon Denali, Grey, 150,214mi, $17.4k

Wife loves it, I like it the more I look at it. Looks to be in good shape but have yet to see personally (hopefully Friday), 2 accidents on CarFax. One minor damage on 7/27/12, one "accident reported" on 5/1/14. Link to CarFax: '08 Denali CarFax

263220_800600.jpg

I say all of this to say that we want to make sure we do not overpay for a truck. We would like input of owners both present and previous and guys that deal with these trucks on a regular basis. We have never owned a Chevy/GMC truck so we are a little lost when it comes to actual values of them.

Any and all input is appreciated. I apologize for the long winded post. Just wanted to cover as much background info as possible.

Thanks in advance guys!

Travis

Fir_Na_Tine

Reaction score
Thats similar to what prices are here on those trucks. I looked at a few LTZ's in that range. But found a 2007 Tahoe LT for $20K. It only has 50K miles on it. It was just traded in and in great shape. Granted it doesn't have all the extras but got a good deal on it. I got lucky on finding a low mileage hoe and I jumped on it. Keep looking around and good luck.

Heres my post on it.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69808

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
If i were u, id triple check everything on 160K truck...not saying its alot of miles as these powertrains can handle it, but do you want to pay 17K for a car that is almost at 200K club? like mentioned before, for another 3k, you got youself 100K less miles...

thats just me tho...

Make sure the trans has seen some attention too...most people like to change their oil, but they forget about the trans fluid...check the air suspension if it has it, and make sure all the basics are good to go...they can add up quick...

OP
OP
E

Ennis_D

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

We made the trip to view and drive the black Denali last night. My wife and I went through the truck with a fine tooth comb the best we could on the lot and pulled over on the test drive to go through it again alone. The owner of the lot provided a service receipt for the truck where it had just had it worked on by a ASE certified shop just a few days before and it listed the details of everything that was done. All fluids checked, leaks were checked for, tranny fluid flushed and refilled, suspension components checked including air suspension, alternator tested as well as battery. Everything checked out according to the receipt and all seems well.

My wife and I dove into all the push button options on the car and everything from fold down seats to trunk hatch work well. Driver mirror did not want to fold in but I can hear the motor running in it so I am almost positive I can fix it.

All in all, I drafted up an email last night that included an offer on the truck. We listed items like tires needing replaced soon, the side mirror, a little oxidation of paint on the roof, etc. I also noted to them that there are other trucks, like the grey one above, and others local to us that are newer, less mileage, same options that I know I can buy for cheaper just off of the posted price before haggling. I made the offer of $15,500 cash and sent it on. Back and forth in emails today and we settled on a price of $15,825 off the lot with tax, tag, title, doc fees, etc. This allows us to replace tires, mirror if needed and have the car waxed and detailed like we would like it.

We feel like at that $15,825 price we have made out on the good end of the deal. I told the guys if we could make the money right on this one that I wouldnt have to waste my time driving 1hr 45min on Friday to look at other vehicles that have accident reports on them.

Thanks guys for the views and replies. Hopefully the wife and I can pick up the truck in the next few days and add it in the driveway!

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
I feel like u got a great deal for 15K...like very good...congrats and welcome to the TYF

kylevd23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great job on dealing, yea with a little TLC, you'll have a good vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne