Hung in 2nd gear, ABS light on, no speedometer reading, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shelbo-15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I bought a '93 Yukon SLE (full size 2dr 4x4) about 2 months ago. Had several idle issues and smoked quite a bit. Long story short I was driving to work one morning when I noticed it wouldn't go out of 2nd gear and the speedometer was on 0. It acted like the transmission was going out, until a half mile later I lost everything. Pulled it to my mechanic (very trusted/knowledgeable,etc) and turns out the crankshaft was busted. I just paid over $3000 for a brand new remanufactured Jasper engine + new radiator. Went to pick it up today, got down the road and it wouldn't shift out of 2nd and speedometer wasn't working. Speaking with them, the mechanic drove it roughly 4 times while fine tuning the newly installed engine, on the 3rd drive, he had the same issue, however after some tweaking, the last drive he said it drove perfect, but to maybe keep an eye on it. He had gone home for the weekend when I picked it up at closing time today, but when I drove off I gave me the same problem + the abs light is still on. Feels to me like the tranny is going out; owner said it could be shift solenoid...? Any advice from anyone that has had this issue in the past? I'm pretty deep in my 'toy' investment now; so any info or tips I can give my mechanic to go on could save me time and money, it could be something simple like a sensor but I'd rather exhaust all efforts before flushing the tranny or replacing in the event its something simple. Thanks

image.jpg