How to Replace the Plastic door Panel Clips to stop Squeeks and Rattles!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to I finally got fed up with listening to the rattles in my yukon. I spent a day or so applying foam weatherstripping everywhere.

I have the noises nailed down to three things. One of the new front shocks that I just installed, and the two front door panels. They would squeek and rattle over every little bump!

So this morning, I pulled back the drivers door panel enough to remove a plastic clip, I brought that in to the local auto body supply store and took home 20 of these little clips. Cost me $16. I can live with that. Then I came home and spent about an hour or so doing both doors.

I used a flat screwdriver, a 1/4" drive 7mm socket and ratchet, and some soap and water and magic eraser.

Here are some pics of that process. Click here for all of the pics.

1. Pop up the panel that contains the windows switches from the rear by the door pull handle.
picture.jpg

2. Use a small flat screw driver to carefully remove the electrical connectors and place switches in a safe location.
picture.jpg

3. Use the 7mm socket and ratchet to remove these two screws and move them to a safe location.
picture.jpg

4. Use the flat screwdriver to carefully pry up on this trim peice. It slides up.
picture.jpg

5. Carefully pry back the panel enough to remove the electrical connector to the door light.
picture.jpg

6. Insert the flat screw driver in between the door handle backing and the door handle trim in three places to carefully pry the trim peice off. The locations are the top and bottom and the side closest to the rear of the truck. You will feel them click as they are released, so gently pull back on the trim until you do all three, and move the trim to a safe location.
picture.jpg

7. At this point you can pull back on the door panel, and carefully lift it straight up and off the door. Put the door panel in a safe location.
picture.jpg

8. Now survey your door and see if you can find out where the squeek or rattle was coming from.
picture.jpg
For me it was here!
picture.jpg
the missing peice of plastic insert.

9. Now seperate 9 plastic clips into their two parts.
picture.jpg

10. Remove the old plug receivers and insert 9 new ones. If you are missing any original peices, don't worry the holes are pretty easy to spot and each door takes 9 clips.
picture.jpg

11. Remove the old plugs from the door panel and insert 9 new ones!
picture.jpg

12. While you are there and you have the door apart, why not take this time to clean the door trim peices and the carpet of the door panel, etc.
picture.jpg

13. Go ahead and install your door panel very carefully making sure that each plug goes smoothly into its reciever. don't forget to reinstall the door light! I did on the driver side:( Reinstall all of the trim peices as well.

14. Voila! Stand back and appreciate a rattle free and clean door!
picture.jpgAfter
BTW Magic Eraser on the carpet can clean it up pretty good!
picture.jpgBefore

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gosh, sometimes I can't win for losing.

My door panels are tight and noise free. Now I can hear my doors rattle running over washboard. So, I'm going to order hinge pins for both doors, I checked and both front doors can be moved up and down. The hinge pins are probably original. I went looking for a write up here on how to do this, but couldn't find anything here. I'll hit up google, see if I can find anything.

Maybe I'll post another how to.

catalinajack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice work; I'll be doing this soon myself. I am interested in your conversion to 3/4 ton brake calibers. Difficult? Or, is it simply a matter of acquiring the parts?

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

The 3/4ton calipers are plug 'n play. Just ask the parts desk for 1998 3/4ton GMC pickup front calipers. That's what I did..lol They just bolt up.

If you search around, there are lots of threads about it. IIRC, there are part numbers too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21