How to clean lifter valley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! My '98 Tahoe with a 5.7 engine had a P0305 code with a SES light. After eliminating any possible ignition problems, I realized that it was a bad injector. The plan was to get rid of the old poppets and install a new MFI setup. At the same time I was loosing a good amount of coolant from a leaking manifold gasket, so I decided to do two things at once. My question to those who have done this job is about the valley: what is the best way to clean it? Where do the holes at the bottom lead? That said, if I wash everything around with a paint thinner or a brake cleaner, will it drain through the oil plug? Here are a few pictures. This black nasty stuff is quite impressive!

Attachments

• CIMG2655ed.JPG
    CIMG2655ed.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 78
  • CIMG2659ed.JPG
    CIMG2659ed.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 80
  • CIMG2660ed.JPG
    CIMG2660ed.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 81

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Holly carbon shit! I would plug the holes to the crankcase and use towels, scrapers, chemicals and a wet/dry vacuum. Don't let it drain anywhere.

:welcome:

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

I am sure the green coolant is not helping either.

OP
OP
bredstein

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Holly carbon shit! I would plug the holes to the crankcase and use towels, scrapers, chemicals and a wet/dry vacuum. Don't let it drain anywhere.

I read or heard somewhere about cleaning and then flushing it all down these holes with an old oil followed by a quart of a good oil. After all, the holes are normally open, so this carbon shouldn't have any problems going down before I took the manifold off, then how is draining different?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those holes end up in the crankcase, I would get the gunk out of there instead of letting it fall into the pan, you don't want to miss any and have it clog up your oil pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onid