How many miles is too many (Denali)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vistance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found a 2004 Yukon XL Denali that has 207k miles on it however the thing looks like new. I don't see rust, the paint looks good, interior looks to be in great condition and the only real wear I see is the finish on the radio button coming off. It's a one owner, and it looks like based on the Carfax they've had it regularly serviced for the entire life of the vehicle including transmission fluid flushes, radiator flushes, and other nice preventative things that it seems like most cars don't have done to them. I'd personally rather just a Yukon Denali as I don't think I need the extra space of the XL, but I don't figure extra space will hurt.

Is this too many miles for a Denali? I see people asking if 130k is too much and laugh because I know that's not too much, but 200k+ is what seems to be more of a question mark. I drive maybe 4-5k miles a year at best, and I have two cars now so I can rotate which car I drive. I always thought Denali's were nice and looked cool, but I have found a few Yukon/Tahoes for only a bit more that are more around 150-160k miles though many of those don't look as clean on the inside and of course lack the 6.0 or AWD of the Denali (Plus cheese grater grill is the best :)).

Here's the link to the listing I'm talking about, it's $7,500.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/673959806/overview/

I was cross-shopping for a 4Runner before this, as I honestly don't really have a need for something so big and know they're reliable as well but they're more costly for the same year with decent miles. But this has more miles on it than my current highest mile car (155k), so a part of me is screaming that this is a bad idea to pay so much for high miles and would be hard to sell in the future. Thoughts?

Okiedave

Reaction score
I can't speak to your milage question, however I currently have an 01 Yukon XL and a 04 Denail (non XL). I must say I wish my Denali was an XL. I love having the extra space. I do like the look of the non XL Denalis better. I say all the time I wish my XL had the 6.0 of the Denali.

Just took a 2500 mile week long trip in the Denali with five people with their luggage and it was a bit cramped, compared the same five riding in the XL. That said my XL also has the bench middle row, vs the captains of the Denali. If I could find a middle bench for the Denali, I might change my mind about the need for the XL.

MY 01 has 177000, and the 04 Denali has 103000. Both have been fantastic maintenance wise.

jesse53

Reaction score
I'd check NADA for a price with those miles..I see alot with 250-300 k and they will run it, these vehicles are built like a tank in my view. I have 231000 with only a fuel pump as a major repair.

OP
OP
V

Vistance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
NADA actually had retail listed at $9,450, so it's a few grand under. I don't regularly look for these though, so I'm not sure what's realistic or not. Does anyone know how much of a premium a Denali (XL or not) commands over a standard Yukon on the used market?

Also just thought of something else, how much does the transmission cost to replace along with the AWD transfer case? I would assume these are the two most likely things to go out on it, though the PO did a flush of the transmission fluid around 80k miles and again around 150-160k. Is anyone else at really high mileage on a factory original tranny?

subieworx

Reaction score
I have 250k on my 03 Denali and it still runs and looks great. I have done some minor maintenance items to it, largest being the rear main seal, but it hasn't missed a beat. I love mine.

OP
OP
V

Vistance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Checked it out today and it drove great. Very clean and nice, no funny noises, odd smells, engine looked clean, no clunking or sloppy sounding shifts. Previous owner was an elderly man who drove it since new and traded it in on a new one, it had a huge list of maintenance records that the dealer said if I was interested in it they couldn't give me due to privacy laws but they could show me that it had a lot. It's been local to my area too. The display for the PRND letters was a little faded but not as bad as some I've seen. A/C was cold and compliant, but not as frigid as some cars I've been in. Heated seats all seemed to work, no rust. PO only towed a car with it one time, and it was literally a single trip so nothing else was towed.

The only concern I guess I have is the transmission. I know it shifts fine now, and the owner did regular flushes of it and serviced it in every way religiously. He was proud to say it was the original transmission at 208k miles. I think the last flush I saw on it was at 170k miles or so. Would this concern anyone else as a failure point? Also he mentioned something with a design flaw in the front differential that he had fixed, but I think it came back and was fixed a second time? Also it had the rear differential replaced too, they were making funny noises but he wasn't able to hear the rear one only the front one. Thoughts on the transmission and those differentials? Everything else seemed very solid.

cain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My trans went out in my Tahoe at 250,000. I've got 267k on it now and still runs great.

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has an 03 suburban with the 5.3 and nearly 400k. All original powertrain. Another friend has an 2003 esky awd with over 300k... he has replaced the trans.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
OWNER/ADMIN

OP
OP
V

Vistance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to know, I appreciate the feedback guys. One other thing I'm wondering, at some point I'm sure I'll want to sell it and get something newer or whatever. How hard is it to sell one of these with high miles? Sounds to me like these are nice and last a long time, but I can imagine (because I have been in and know it well) that the book value is crap and people won't pay you what they should for how nice it is so instead of getting hosed on selling it you just keep driving it. Then again, I've only had cars not trucks so I know that can make a big difference. I like the look of the '01-'06s, but if I could swing it I'd love to have the '07+ style (I like the tail lights and the updated interior) - but I'm pretty sure that'll go from $7,500 to $15k or more which defeats a lot of the low price reason why I'm thinking about picking one of these up.

Given the history, what would a fair offer be to make on that XL Denali? They had $7,500 listed, I was thinking of seeing if they'd do something like $6,000 and probably settle around $6,500-7,000 unless they would take $6k. I did have a place that had a 2005 Tahoe Z71 with 178k miles that was pretty clean, but not as much as the Denali (It had some rust on the front bumper, steering wheel was kind of worn looking and the buttons were gommy feeling). Had a pretty good service history, but nothing about transmission flushes or anything like that. I mentioned the Denali and its condition and they started rolling off some pretty low numbers. The last one he said was that they might take $6k for that Z71 Tahoe. Given the price/year/model difference, should I consider that Tahoe? I personally like the looks of the Denali better (as a model) but newer and lower miles does sound nice and I guess with the money saved I could get that bumper replaced. But then I lose the AWD and the 6.0.

Sorry if I'm pesky with all my questions, I've just been a car guy all my life. Never owned anything but sedans and coupes, so looking at these trucks and stuff is a big change for me. I'm just a single guy for now, but figure something good sized that can haul things when I buy a house soon would be useful. That part of me feels like the XL Denali is just gargantuan for me. I started out looking for station wagons, like Volvos and stuff but they're hard to find and I'm not sure how reliable turbo things are with high miles. Am I crazy for thinking about these vehicles that look well suited for a family but overkill for just one guy? It does snow here some winters, but not so regularly or badly as to make 4WD/AWD a necessity. I get by in my FWD cars just fine for as little as it snows, not that having the extra capability would hurt.

subieworx

Reaction score
Anything gas powered gets tough to sell over 200k for near blue book. I bought mine 03 Denali in 4/15 with 208k for 4k in good condition from a private seller.