Help/Sugestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fine I'll quit trying to be a cheap bastard lol

Being the cheap bastard works great, until you end up re doing something multiple times :banghead:. Much better to just buy the good stuff once and don't worry about it again.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Look for used goodies if a wanna be a cheap bastard. Payed like $50 for my long tubes but have yet to install them

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay key phrase "dyno sheets from the manufacturers of the intake" if you believe those i gotta bridge to sell you
because ive seen the dyno done with a factory intake and K&N we pulled off the shelf at the napa store when i went to UTI and guess what the HP was lower then it was with the factory intake. why? the aftermarket intake leans out the mixture alot wich the pcm will adjust to point after a drive cycle is completed so your no longer losing any HP but your not gaining any the tune will adjust your mixture to take advantage of that intake
its funny because there were a few guys in class even when they were shown the numbers on the dyno they still argued there point i think they even drove rice rockets to check out mightycarmods on youtube

Reaction score
First, you do not "chip" a Vortec engine. You reprogram or tune the PCM. Such a company that does it is Blackbear Performance. They can usually get you about 20 more HP than stock and can account for mods to the engine as well.

Second, do not buy the GF POS. It is a scam. It is just a resistor in that box that alters the real signal and provides the computer with a fake one. That will just screw shit up. There are also not a lot aversions in part numbers for different years either, even though it says there are. It all ends up being the same POS box and part.

Third, Be careful on how you modify your throttle body. Doing it wrong can cause emissions monitor issues.

Forth, Keep your cats in and replace if needed and make sure your O2 sensors are in good working order. No rtv or extenders or crap like that.

Fifth, you can go different routes for cooling fans. You can do the Lincoln Mark 8 cooling fan in the existing fan shroud on the low cost side (discussed in a sticky post in the tech section) or you can use Flex-a-lite #280 dual fan kit like I have for for about $600. http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/280/10002/-1

Sixth, there are other options for air intakes. Personally, I recommend the K&n series 57 kit.

Seventh, ss for the exhaust try a flowmaster or other cat back system. You can put hi-flow cats from Magnaflow on if yours are bad. For headers you have a choice of shorties, Mid-lengths, which is sort of what I have but they are 100% legal while retaining all hookups( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dte-301y-fed-c WIll have to really search for them tho.) Or long tubes which require modifications that would interfere with emissions equipment.

I have lots of mods that exceed the purchase price of the vehicle and will spend a lot more myself. Get used to it. As for as how much power I put out, I have yet to dyno it.

Well stated @SunlitComet ! I made the mistake of adding up how much money I have dropped into my Tahoe since I bought it off of Ebay in 2013. I've had it over five years now and I'm well into approaching mid-five figures. It averages to about six grand a year, which sure as heck beats a monthly 500 buck car payment and the insurance and registration fees that go with it...plus the repairs that occur. This truck is very easy to work on and since there are like over a millions variants of my Tahoe, parts and cheap(ish) and easy to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu