Help buying 2014 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselBrad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Deciding on buying a 2014 Tahoe 192,000 kms over a 2015 grand caravan CREW 125,000 kms both great condition both sold by reputable dealers, both in the $19,000 range. According to values the Tahoe is priced low not sure why but can’t find anything wrong with it

Suggestions????

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you plan to do with the truck? Off-road? Raise/lower? Performance mods?

2Seven

Reaction score
We just traded in our 2008 Honda Odyssey for a 2011 Tahoe. We have three kids (3, 6, and 8).

I sold my 2005 Silverado to get the van when kid #3 was on the way.

I got the Tahoe because the kids are getting bigger and I would like the ability to safely and confidently tow a camper in the near future.

I do miss the sliding doors with the kids. They are much more likely to swing the Tahoe door in to a parked car. We are working on awareness about that :)

I know my wife preferred the van, but this was a good compromise. I would say to evaluate your needs and go from there. Once I pay off the Tahoe my plan is to get her another van.

The van did have slightly more cargo room and a smoother ride. However, I prefer the feeling of a truck over the van. I also like the size and ride height on the Tahoe. The gas mileage is close enough that it wasn't a concern for us.

Both have pros and cons.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with above statements ^^^^^

But since you seem to need the capabilities of the Tahoe on a regular basis, I'd go that route. But, drive them and see. Is the van AWD? I have heard those caravans still suffer from transmission issues, so you may want to consider that as well. Not that the Tahoe can't break, it's just more robust in my opinion

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off road on farm and 4x4 in snow to work is why I am leaning to Tahoe…
Why not a Suburban? We only have 2 kids and use the extra space in our Yukon XL's all the time. Every time we load up for a weekend trip or longer, I wonder how the people with kids and shorties do it. There is no better road trip vehicle on the planet than a Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV in my opinion. I think my wife married me for my Suburban at the time. Lol.

2Seven

Reaction score
Why not a Suburban? We only have 2 kids and use the extra space in our Yukon XL's all the time. Every time we load up for a weekend trip or longer, I wonder how the people with kids and shorties do it. There is no better road trip vehicle on the planet than a Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV in my opinion. I think my wife married me for my Suburban at the time. Lol.

We bought our Tahoe a month ago and I am already wishing we had gone with the Suburban. I am currently looking at a hitch mounted cargo carrier for camping trips.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We bought our Tahoe a month ago and I am already wishing we had gone with the Suburban. I am currently looking at a hitch mounted cargo carrier for camping trips.
Harbor Freight has a pretty decent aluminum one that we sometimes use on extended trips when my wife's parents join us. This bag fits it perfectly:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu