Heat only at higher RPMs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skizzot

Reaction score
I've done searches everywhere but the solutions offered don't resolve my issue.

I have a 2000 LT 5.3 and recently arrived in Omaha where we have freezing temps and recent snow. I'm from Florida and the weather is never freezing so the truck got to normal temp relatively fast year round. I rarely used the heater until arriving here as well.

The truck seems to take a while to warm up. If I start it and let it idle for 10 minutes it's still not even at the 1/4 mark on water temp. (I won't get into what the lifters sound like on start up.) Once it gets to operating temp (~185-190) the heat will blow hot while driving but blow cool at idle. If I rev the engine the heat will blow hot again.

-No issues with the controls whereas it does blow hot, just not at idle on any setting. This applies to rear air as well.

-Operating temp. is maintained without fluctuation once reached.

-The radiator was replaced 6 months ago. This involved multiple system flushes with a water hose and a full coolant cleaning with flushing agent while thermostat was removed. A new thermostat was installed and the system was filled 50/50 with distilled water and dexcool. No issues with temp occurred afterward.

- Coolant in the reservoir is at the "cold" mark.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Firelime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my Trans Am. Flushed it several times. Ended up the heater was just plugged up.

LinuxMint

Reaction score
It does sound like a heater hose. Pliers and a garden hose to flush it out should help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobby J