headers take 2!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
igotcha.. now is it required to run a H or X pipe somewhere before it exits? what is more horsepower proven with a good tone? should i do a Y pipe, do i need to do a ypipe bcuz of my 1 o2 sensor?

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok heres may take from my experience.

1)PSM-70-2261-Better made header from my experience. 3/8" flanges, still only 1 5/8" tubes, but 3" collectors that are slip fit
2)HOK-2806HKR-Better, 1 3/4" tubes, 3" collector, but only 5/16 flanges and 3 bolt flange, and too expensive IMHO
3)2462-1HKR-Don't buy these, 1 5/8" tubes, 5/16 flanges, and only 2.5" collectors which are a 3 bolt flange (they always leak)
4)2462HKR-pretty much the same as the above headers, but alot cheaper

And with the ceramic coating, if you drive your truck in the winter the coating will not hold up, ever. And from my experience ****** headers are junk. I have had 2 sets now, one for my camaro and one set for my old dodge thats long gone, they are a cheap header that you pay a hefty price for a name. The headers on my camaro just suck, the fit is poor, they hit on my floor pan on the drivers side, they leak about everywhere, the coating only lasted about 6 months and I don't even drive in rain, and the welds that hold the tubes together started breaking off and leaving nice big holes in the tubes.

Now on the other hand I installed a set of pacesetters LTs on my buddies firebird and the fit was great, he swapped from hookers to the pacesetters. And we installed a set of pacesetter LTs on my dads dodge ram and those fit great. My dad went with the painted and my buddy coated. His coating is still holding up for now, but my dads headers still look ok, but they will start to rust here pretty soon.

But my suggestion is Pacesetters that are coated, even though I have never hand any luck with coated headers. And if your doing true duals do an x pipe, it sounds better and it has been proven over and over that it makes more power. But I would just do a y pipe and a single 3" exhaust, its not like these motors are a big power house or anything

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy coated, I get painted, and send them off to get HPC coated. I'm not 100% on the 'factory' coating.
I want to know it was done right. Local HPC coating place is about 60 miles form me, and know their work.

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't buy coated, I get painted, and send them off to get HPC coated. I'm not 100% on the 'factory' coating.
I want to know it was done right. Local HPC coating place is about 60 miles form me, and know their work.

Thats the way to go, but for someone like me living in wisconsin the only thing I could have done is get them powdercoated which I have heard holds up really well, but who knows.

There was a guy a little ways away that had a civic that had the header powdercoated baby blue and it looked sweet, never heard how it held up over time though

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, you can send them to HPC (High Performance Coatings) or Jet Hot, or many others. But it adds about $250 to the cost of headers.

had a burgandy Edelbrock intake done once, looked cool

Also did the pistons on my 383. :)

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
But my suggestion is Pacesetters that are coated, even though I have never hand any luck with coated headers. And if your doing true duals do an x pipe, it sounds better and it has been proven over and over that it makes more power. But I would just do a y pipe and a single 3" exhaust, its not like these motors are a big power house or anything

would down the road a supercharger 383 need duals?? ive never seen long tubes tho with a ypipe, would they have to make something up at an exhaust shop? bcuz i shure as hell dont do ypipes.. ill do everything else but that..

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would down the road a supercharger 383 need duals?? ive never seen long tubes tho with a ypipe, would they have to make something up at an exhaust shop? bcuz i shure as hell dont do ypipes.. ill do everything else but that..

Well true duals on our trucks is kinda of a PITA because of the gas tank and the transfer case is hard to work around. But even with a supercharger you can still run a single exhaust. There are alot of F-body guys pushing 700-800 RWHP and still running a single exhaust, it may be a single 4" exhaust, but still a single.

You could easily have 3" collectors and a 3" y-pipe with a daul 3" in/single 3.5" out merge and run a single 3.5" exhaust and it would flow and sounds badass IMO. Thats my plan down the road anyway. And if you take it to a good shop having the y pipe fabbed up shouldn't be that much.

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
hmmm. im still debating where i want to run the exhaust out tho.. no transfer case but i still get what your saying.:think::think:

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm. im still debating where i want to run the exhaust out tho.. no transfer case but i still get what your saying.:think::think:

Well what kind of power numbers are you looking for? I have my LT1 camaro making about 430 rwhp and I'm running ****** ceremic coated LTs, 1 3/4" primarys, 3" collectors, x pipe, and 2.5" true duals all the way to the back. I feel that the exhust may be costing me a little bit of power (probably less than 15, but still) because of all the bends in my system. I should have gone with 3" duals from the get go, that way it was done. But I have plans for more power in the future, so that has to be factored in too.

As far as where to run it, doing a single exhaust setup would be the way to go IMO, and run it sort of in the stock location and hide the tailpipe exit so its not seen. Stealthy is the way I like it though.

My plans down the road are to swap the motor from my camaro into my tahoe, thats why I was planning all of the bolt-ons now and mabye going a little overboard on some things, like the 3.5" exhaust.

But all in all its what you want in the end, if you want true duals, just step up and do it. Thats all I can tell you, but a single exhaust is going to have alot of sound to it especially with LTs and a supercharger. But you could have almost the same sound with true duals, but duals are easyer to keep quiet IMO, my camaro is nice and sleeperish when I'm just cruising, but when I start getting into the throttle and spinning out 7K RPMs it gets pretty loud

I wish I could be more help, but in the end its all in what you want, and if it were me I wouldn't be happy unless it was what I wanted

Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper