Hard to get to air box screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WifesYukon17

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to get some advise or some tricks on how to get yo that one air box screw that is inconveniently placed by the radiator line on the right side of the box closest to the radiator. I ordered some ratchet wrenches to see if that is easier because the phillips head screw drivers are stripping out the bolt but because of the placement of the bolt next to the radiator line is basically impossible to get a socket wrench down in there. Anyone have any suggestions? I might just replace the box with a S&B cold air intake just so I don't have to mess with that ridiculous bolt.

madbuilder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Philips? Maybe it varies by model year. My airbox has torx screw heads (T8 I think). An extension to your 1/4" socket wrench is all you need.​

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to get some advise or some tricks on how to get yo that one air box screw that is inconveniently placed by the radiator line on the right side of the box closest to the radiator. I ordered some ratchet wrenches to see if that is easier because the phillips head screw drivers are stripping out the bolt but because of the placement of the bolt next to the radiator line is basically impossible to get a socket wrench down in there. Anyone have any suggestions? I might just replace the box with a S&B cold air intake just so I don't have to mess with that ridiculous bolt.
buy a 14" 1/4 drive ratchet extension, it will slip right through the small gap. Worked great for me!

OP
OP
WifesYukon17

WifesYukon17

Reaction score
It just amazes me that the engineers don't look at that and say, "yeah, that would be difficult to get to with simple tools..." I mean, why even need a tool, just use the snap clips like everyone else. They are just as good and are faster to unfasten. Still sucks that I gotta remove the whole air box just to change the passenger side headlight bulb...

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to get some advise or some tricks on how to get yo that one air box screw that is inconveniently placed by the radiator line on the right side of the box closest to the radiator. I ordered some ratchet wrenches to see if that is easier because the Phillips head screw drivers are stripping out the bolt but because of the placement of the bolt next to the radiator line is basically impossible to get a socket wrench down in there. Anyone have any suggestions? I might just replace the box with a S&B cold air intake just so I don't have to mess with that ridiculous bolt.
if it's too hard let a pro do it.. i was able to do mine and there is WAY more crap under the hood in that area with the hybrid module

Don't use a philips You need a torx

I can do it with my obnoxiously big hands you can do it too... I have a hand span of 10"
it can be done without a pivoting head.

Now you need to go spend 8$ for a new bolt

OP
OP
WifesYukon17

WifesYukon17

Reaction score
if it's too hard let a pro do it.. i was able to do mine and there is WAY more crap under the hood in that area with the hybrid module

Don't use a philips You need a torx

I can do it with my obnoxiously big hands you can do it too... I have a hand span of 10"
it can be done without a pivoting head.

Now you need to go spend 8$ for a new bolt
Mine are definitely Phillips/flat head combo or 8mm socket. Per my other post I was able to easily get to it with a pivot head ratcheting socket wrench. Worked quite well actually.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk