Growling noise that sounds like a wheel bearing coming from somewhere but taking hard turns to right or left doesnt change sound.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RickSelest

RickSelest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My guess would be the differential. Mine was making noise. Had it rebuilt and it's been good ever since. If it turns out it's your rear end and they rebuild it, make sure they replace the carrier pinion bearings. They trained monkey who rebuilt my rear end (it was broke) just slapped a gear box in it and called it a day. A few months later it broke again due to the carrier and pinion bearings having too much play.
Does the differential change sound up and over hills or in my case today noticed it changing sound on a smooth uneven road where the car was shifting its weight from side to side rapidly. Noise would come and go in and out as I am driving straight down this road.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the differential change sound up and over hills or in my case today noticed it changing sound on a smooth uneven road where the car was shifting its weight from side to side rapidly. Noise would come and go in and out as I am driving straight down this road.
My diff would change tone depending on whether I was accelerating or coasting because the problem was the pinion bearing. A carrier bearing would likely make noise as the vehicle’s weight was shifting side to side. Again, it’s worth a few bucks to have a shop put ears on it to diagnose it and save you having to load the parts cannon.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
my 00 had growling noise, it was the rear axle bearings, cheap part, labor intensive.
some chassis ears will help you narrow it down.
Good call on the axle bearings. Had not thought of that. @Geotrash also a good call on carrier bearings. Needs inspected by a qualified tech.

chevylade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My ‘03 Escalade growling was solved by replacing the transfer case with a reman.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Usually one of the gears will break a tooth or three off and make a loud clanging sound as you drive. It can sound worse as you try to make a u-turn, as mine did. Gear teeth don't have to be broken off to make noise though, they can simply be worn down which then increases gear lash.
If the pinion bearing is shot you will hear a loud click going over speed bumps and dips in the road or anywhere that causes the drive line to flex. The vehicle shifting weight laterally can also put stress on the worn components causing noise. Have you checked the rear diff fluid? If it's severely low it can cause overheating which can lead to all of the above problems. Considering mileage(?), if you narrow it down to the rear end it might be cheaper to just get a donor rear end and do a swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts