Growling noise that sounds like a wheel bearing coming from somewhere but taking hard turns to right or left doesnt change sound.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickSelest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have already replace the front left wheel bearing and it did not make a difference although it seems like it maybe a tad quieter. Turning left or right at higher speeds does not make the sound go away like they tell you when test for front wheel bearings but it does make a sound change when going up and over hills. It goes away slightly when going over the hill when the load would be lessened. But like I said going right to left and vice versa doesnt change the sound at all... also accelerating or decelerating doesnt change the tone either ..any ideas?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The choices are wide open. Check the rear diff fluid for problems, driveshaft bushing, u-joints, axle bearings....etc. The possibilities are great.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have already replace the front left wheel bearing and it did not make a difference although it seems like it maybe a tad quieter. Turning left or right at higher speeds does not make the sound go away like they tell you when test for front wheel bearings but it does make a sound change when going up and over hills. It goes away slightly when going over the hill when the load would be lessened. But like I said going right to left and vice versa doesnt change the sound at all... also accelerating or decelerating doesnt change the tone either ..any ideas?
My guess is your front diff is on its way out. A driveline shop can put electronic ears on it and see where the sound is coming from. I had this happen on my 2002 Suburban, and a local driveline shop nailed the diagnosis for $100.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When checking for the hubs/bearings, you don't have to go at "higher speeds". 30-35 mph on a straight road and slight steering wheel changes from noon to 10 and 2 should allow you to hear the noise, if there.

OP
OP
RickSelest

RickSelest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.... I have tried that and there isnt any difference in sound its consistant going straight or turning in a bend in the road. The sound is really pronouced at speeds of 40-45 plus, under that it is barely audible. The only sound difference I hear is going up and over hills. It quiets down for a brief second when there is a shift in weight. this made me guess it might be rear bears but since its so uncommon i dont know. If its any consequencem about two months ago I hit the bottom of a hole in the road pretty hard by railroad they didnt have marked.. hardest hit I felt in a car like I hit a curb at 35 mph from the front. Sound started a month later not sure they are related.

If it was a front diff or trans would a shift in weight cause a sound difference over hills?

OP
OP
RickSelest

RickSelest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.... I have tried that and there isnt any difference in sound its consistant going straight or turning in a bend in the road. The sound is really pronouced at speeds of 40-45 plus, under that it is barely audible. The only sound difference I hear is going up and over hills. It quiets down for a brief second when there is a shift in weight. this made me guess it might be rear bears but since its so uncommon i dont know. If its any consequencem about two months ago I hit the bottom of a hole in the road pretty hard by railroad they didnt have marked.. hardest hit I felt in a car like I hit a curb at 35 mph from the front. Sound started a month later not sure they are related.

If it was a front diff or trans would a shift in weight cause a sound difference over hills?
When checking for the hubs/bearings, you don't have to go at "higher speeds". 30-35 mph on a straight road and slight steering wheel changes from noon to 10 and 2 should allow you to hear the noise, if there.

LuciferVR4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This sounds just like how my truck was. Thought it was wheel bearings at first as well. Ended up being my front diff carrier bearings. Might want to check that out.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
My guess would be the differential. Mine was making noise. Had it rebuilt and it's been good ever since. If it turns out it's your rear end and they rebuild it, make sure they replace the carrier pinion bearings. They trained monkey who rebuilt my rear end (it was broke) just slapped a gear box in it and called it a day. A few months later it broke again due to the carrier and pinion bearings having too much play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts