GMT900, Anyone overlanding/offroading these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

socalls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t think you could officially call it Overlanding, but we take our Yukon on some pretty gnarly 4X tracts and Forest Roads. I see a lot of the same people with their Rubicon’s and TRD Pro 4Runners, a few always watch us go by, I think they really want to use that recovery stuff on us. :)

@Tozan has a wonderful thread going that spans years of discovery and modifications. He documents his successes and mistakes. Really great stuff.

In the end, if you are going on some Black Diamond tracts, you will be better served with a Rubicon, decked 4Runner, Land Cruiser (including the Lexus Prado), but for most anything else, you can do a lot for a lot less.

Good luck.

When you say Black Diamond tracts, would you give an example? I'm pretty new to this scene overall so some of the slang and/or terms are new to me

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Mine’s set up for off road exploration. We are more into day trips and return to the motorhome for a comfortable night. I chose the Tahoe because it’s comfortable, shorter wheelbase than a Suburban, and towable on all four wheels. There’s a thread with my build info in the “Under Construction” section of the forum.

Mine was formerly operated by the border patrol. It did a bunch of off-roading long before I acquired it. They ran them basically stock suspension but cut the front for better approach.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say Black Diamond tracts, would you give an example? I'm pretty new to this scene overall so some of the slang and/or terms are new to me

Black Diamond (Double Black Diamond - Ultra difficult, Intermediate - Blue Round symbol, Easy/Beginner - Green square) is a way to describe the difficulty of the trail, similar to ski trail designations, hiking trails, etc.

Here is one Club's way of describing it.

https://mhjc.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=241053&module_id=184968

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to see how many of you have overlanded/off-roading a Tahoe? I'm not sure why people are preferably going with the suburban's as they're larger and heavier, maybe because of the large fuel tank? I was looking at GX470's but the market is crazy expensive and they get purchased instantly if you can find a deal, so I looked out my search and found myself to my Chevy roots and looked at the Tahoe specs and other than the Angle Of Approach and Angle Of Departure being bad, I don't see why this would be a bad vehicle to overland/off-road (Mildly, don't need it to be a rock crawler).
boarder patrol does.... but they have Z71 4x4 offroad package

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I do a couple thousand miles of off road trips a year and at least 30 miles minimum each week.

We set up this campsite after running off road for a couple hours the night before.

69539869_10157698434851738_2632280894739578880_o.jpg

It is pretty capable off road I have a 4 inch lift running 35 inch tires I did not cut any metal just plastic up front. It is comfortable running 65 to 75 mph on most desert roads.

69939822_10157698410576738_6141098596650450944_n.jpg

If it is cold out I put the side walls on the 270 degree awning with a fire pit inside to keep warm.

72120485_10157802171021738_7234892493379076096_o.jpg

Cooking is done on my fold out table attached to the tire carrier. Inside is a full size 5 inch foam mattress with storage underneath and a 12 volt 37 qt. refrigerator. I have been on trails in Nevada, California, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona and a few famous trails in Moab Utah.

97579176_10158518425746738_914970356379287552_o.jpg

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
A lot of areas I go to do not have cell service so, my choice of communication are a Ham radio and a satellite phone. The Ham radio is more reliable. The switch box controls driving lights, other outside lights and power outlets in the back.

20191024_162301.jpg
We even go where the buffalo roam. This is near the North rim of the Grand Canyon.

20190720_175921.jpg

OP
OP
S

socalls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do a couple thousand miles of off road trips a year and at least 30 miles minimum each week.

We set up this campsite after running off road for a couple hours the night before.

View attachment 271592

It is pretty capable off road I have a 4 inch lift running 35 inch tires I did not cut any metal just plastic up front. It is comfortable running 65 to 75 mph on most desert roads.

View attachment 271593

If it is cold out I put the side walls on the 270 degree awning with a fire pit inside to keep warm.

View attachment 271594

Cooking is done on my fold out table attached to the tire carrier. Inside is a full size 5 inch foam mattress with storage underneath and a 12 volt 37 qt. refrigerator. I have been on trails in Nevada, California, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona and a few famous trails in Moab Utah.

View attachment 271595

Dam, you just made me want this even more lol, I think I should go with the SSV based on what some people have mentioned, but I do like the amenities of the LTZ but when I decide to lift it, I think their will be issues if it has air suspension from factory, what do you recommend? I think I will need skid plates, rock sliders and trim bumpers, the last one is/could be free but the skid plates and rocks sliders not sure where to get them

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Dam, you just made me want this even more lol, I think I should go with the SSV based on what some people have mentioned, but I do like the amenities of the LTZ but when I decide to lift it, I think their will be issues if it has air suspension from factory, what do you recommend? I think I will need skid plates, rock sliders and trim bumpers, the last one is/could be free but the skid plates and rocks sliders not sure where to get them

So far as I know the air suspension can be replaced but, you might need to do a delete on it. Maybe some others know the details better and will add their comments.

I do not have skid plates or rock sliders but, I may add one or two in the future Most of the stuff like the motor is well protected but, there are a few things that are soft and could use some protection. But so far plates and sliders are pretty low on my list,

OP
OP
S

socalls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far as I know the air suspension can be replaced but, you might need to do a delete on it. Maybe some others know the details better and will add their comments.

I do not have skid plates or rock sliders but, I may add one or two in the future Most of the stuff like the motor is well protected but, there are a few things that are soft and could use some protection. But so far plates and sliders are pretty low on my list,

Why are skid plates and rock sliders low on your list? Are you high enough that you feel you won't hit anything? Do all Tahoes have some sort of protection as you mentioned?