GMT900, Anyone overlanding/offroading these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to see how many of you have overlanded/off-roading a Tahoe? I'm not sure why people are preferably going with the suburban's as they're larger and heavier, maybe because of the large fuel tank? I was looking at GX470's but the market is crazy expensive and they get purchased instantly if you can find a deal, so I looked out my search and found myself to my Chevy roots and looked at the Tahoe specs and other than the Angle Of Approach and Angle Of Departure being bad, I don't see why this would be a bad vehicle to overland/off-road (Mildly, don't need it to be a rock crawler).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a couple members on here that have done there vehicles up, can't think of there names to tag at the moment but hopefully they will see your post and chime in, the search function on here is kind of broken but there are some post's out there. try googling "tahoeyukonforum overlanding" that might get you some hits.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice,

LOL, love the sarcasm, wondering why you went with a PPV vehicle as those come lower from factory right?
Run what ya brung is the simple answer.

in reality I knew nothing about the PPV specifically. I bought the first one on a lark, to use for camping and pulling my teardrop trailer. Then I started learning the specific things about the model. THEN I learned about overlanding. The kinds of places I like to go are no problem for the PPV. Except for washboard roads. Those are brutal. You ever want to outrun a cop hits some washboards. Not that you’re going to outrun Motorola.

Because I was worried about sidewall cuts and to deal with dirt, I added a set of KO2s. They’re the bomb.

I also started adding enough stuff to the Hoe, that a rear seat delete became attractive. At the same time I lost my job and company car, so I needed a daily. Buying an ex K-9 unit was perfect because I had interior parts and the new Hoe needed them.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you could officially call it Overlanding, but we take our Yukon on some pretty gnarly 4X tracts and Forest Roads. I see a lot of the same people with their Rubicon’s and TRD Pro 4Runners, a few always watch us go by, I think they really want to use that recovery stuff on us. :)

@Tozan has a wonderful thread going that spans years of discovery and modifications. He documents his successes and mistakes. Really great stuff.

In the end, if you are going on some Black Diamond tracts, you will be better served with a Rubicon, decked 4Runner, Land Cruiser (including the Lexus Prado), but for most anything else, you can do a lot for a lot less.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout