GM loses LC9 lawsuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General Motors lost a class-action lawsuit in the US District Court for the Northern District of California over alleged defects with the LC9 Vortec 5300 V8. The jury ordered the automaker to pay $102.6 million to the affected customers.

Specifically, the suit covers trucks and SUVs with this engine from the 2011 to 2014 model years for owners in California, North Carolina, and Idaho. There are about 38,000 people that are part of the class-action case, according to Automotive News. Each of them could get $2,700.

The legal process isn't yet over for this case, though. A General Motors spokesperson told Motor1.com:
We do not believe the verdict is supported by the evidence. We plan to seek post-trial relief and pursue an appeal if the Court allows the verdict to stand.

The attorneys filed this case in late 2016. It alleged that a problem with the piston rings resulted in excessive oil consumption and potential damage to the powerplant, including possible failure.

Again, GM will spend millions to deny what is a widely known defect, leaving its customers holding their bag.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's nice to hear, but too little,too late for just about everyone. I have a good friend who is a master tech for chevy and years ago (he was putting pistons and rings in like crazy) he said that if GM would stop letting EPA idiots dictate how engines should run we'd be on a better place. Translation: when beaurotcrats tell engineers that they need to eek out just another 0.5 mpg so they don't have to use up their saved emissions credits for CAFE they put in low tension rings. This allowed less drag on the cylinder walls.......but also lets oil by in a vacuum much easier. A proper ring pack with a scraper ring probably would've made AFM more reliable.

So, now that the world knows of this litigation success, how are the new LT motors doing for oil consumption? I have my AFM turned off. I'd be interested to see if it's still an issue or if GM finally did what they needed to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts