Gear noise HELP 2005 Tahoe new 4.56 rear gears, .007 pinion shim, back lash .007, pinion preload 23nm, total preload 39nm.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camarochief

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
pinion preload should be 20 25 inch lbs. rotating pinion by itself with new bearings 15 20 in. lbs. with used bearings, no carrier installed, pinion depth looks close, maybe a little deeper to center pattern on ring gear. after getting pinion preload set whack pinion yoke and pinion nut with hammer to make sure the preload does not change before installing carrier and axles. i'm not a fan of a solid pinion spacer, nothing wrong with a crush sleeve IMO. hope this helps.

OP
OP
W

WFOALASKA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, finaly got it. Watched a few of the school type videos on gear setups. Basically did a little schooling, so i knew exactly what to do. Before I was way off (backwards) on the mechanics of it. Brought it back in the garage, tore it all down and started over. Only took 3 tries on paint patterns for the correct pinion depth. Is .04 now (pinion depth deeper) insted of .07 ( too shallow ) backlash set at .08. Preloads are in speck now too. Buttoned rear diff up and pulled the front diff out and regeard it as well. Took it for a drive, no wine, growles. Totally silent. Really happy now. I rebuilt the 4l60e a few weeks ago, with all the sunnax goodies installed. Now with that rebuilt, the 4.56 gears, it rolls down the road in overdrive at 2,200 at 65-70 on the 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers with ease. Will be able to haul our camper, 4wheelers, loaded inclosed trailers around much better. We have steep grades on our roads here. Finally able to pull them much better. Front is gears are dead silent as well.. super happy. Next is the LM7 to rebuild and the transfercase.

OP
OP
W

WFOALASKA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just caught it in one of the pictures, are you still using the govloc? That seems risky with a steep gear.
Yep, it does. Going to swap it out in few months. What would you guys recommend? Would like air lockers front and rear. Richmond or Yukon? Haven't started looking real hard yet. Low on toy cash now for a bit LoL. 6" lift, wheels and tires, transmission rebuild and gears were pretty spendy. Im able to do all the work, so that helps with being able to spend a little more on the parts. Next project is a Duramax/ Allison 6sp swap in my 86 chevy pickup. Have everything for it, just have to do it now.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it sorted out. AFAIK there is no locker for the front. Too weak is the story. Which has got me thinking on swapping the front diff from a 2500 into mine. Those you can get lockers for. If I get that deep into mine I’ll most likely use ARB.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang cant imagine it being weaker than the 7.2 in the s series trucks and there were lockers available for them. As for the rear any quality locker should be fine.

Oh rig looks excellent by the way

OP
OP
W

WFOALASKA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dang cant imagine it being weaker than the 7.2 in the s series trucks and there were lockers available for them. As for the rear any quality locker should be fine.

Oh rig looks excellent by the way
Thanks! Going to start looking into them today. Mabey look at whats all involved swaping to the 2500 diff. Or a solid axle swap? Keep forgetting to ask on here. What is available for doing a brake upgrade? Have seen something about a package that is for the Police Brake Package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz