Front passenger window not working. Need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosole

Reaction score
I inherited my '04 Sub from my brother as it's been passed around our family for several years. Now that it's mine, I've been working hard to fix all the crap that he let languish. One of those things is the front passenger window, which won't respond to either the driver or passenger controls. When I use the up/down controls on either door, I can hear the little click on the passenger side like the relay is activating, but the window won't budge. Having already corrected an old automatic door lock issue by replacing the relays in the fuse box, and the fact that the "click" was a familiar sound, I figured the problem was electrical, and that I could solve it by replacing the control unit in the passenger door. No dice. The issue persists with the new unit too.

I currently have the door opened up with the panel off and the only thing I can think of that might logically be the issue is a bad window motor. Is it possible that it has seized or failed? Or maybe something else? I'm sorta stuck here and don't want to go buy more parts on a guess (since my first one was wrong :doh2:).

Anybody experience this before or have any insight on the subject?

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Failure of the window regulators is common on these vehicles. I have replaced both front regulators on mine. If you can test for voltage at the motor while you have it opened up that would help you pinpoint the issue.
Not too bad of a job nor $$$ if that's the problem.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

OP
OP
N

nosole

Reaction score
Failure of the window regulators is common on these vehicles. I have replaced both front regulators on mine. If you can test for voltage at the motor while you have it opened up that would help you pinpoint the issue.
Not too bad of a job nor $$$ if that's the problem.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Cool. I'll check that out tonight when I get home.

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While holding the up or down switch (depending on whether the window is up or down already) try knocking the window motor a couple times and see if it starts working. You most likely will need to replace the motor but this will tell you for sure its a motor problem. Just make sure the window switch is connected on the passenger side if you have the door panel off. I think that has to be connected for the window to work even if you are trying from the driver's side.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
In my 2000 I had a broken wire. In in between the door jamb. I extended the wire actually three bad wires and has been good since. I have to do the regulator now though.

1_8TTony

Reaction score
I don't think ou can just replace the window motor.........you gotta replace the whole regulator assembly. It consists of the motor, cables and rails..............I replace them almost once a week at work. Simple fix, just make sure those monkeys at the auto parts stores order you the right part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullyfiberchick