electric brake controller write up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsltrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMAG0400.gif
I used one connector for both in line fuses.. I probably could have not used them since the terminals are on a fuse but ohh well.. one in line fuse powers the controller and the other fuse powers the hot side of the 7 pin plug.
IMAG0403-1.gif
here you can see where I drilled a hole in the firewall and used a rubber grommet and lubed up the 3 wires before I pulled them thru.. the white is the ground the black is hot and the green (normally a blue wire ) is the the control wire to the plug out back..IMAG0402.gif
Anouther shot engine bay side.
IMAG0406.gif
This is how I hooked up both feeds
IMAG0401.gif
And another shot
IMAG0408.gif
Can u see the yellow connector attached to the cruise control. That's one of two grounds... I always find that when I have electrical problems its cause of a bad ground so I always over do the grounds... just like the 2 in line fuses I have 2 ground wires in that connector, one goes to the controller the other goes to the 7 pin plug same then goes to the gas tank filler necks ground... you can also see the wire are now loomed...
IMAG0407.gif
here's a closer shot.
IMAG0431.gif
Here's a pick of the ground wire at the back

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

IMAG0410-1.gif
Now here's where I had the most headache... that is the steering column and there is a loom of wire (which I already tore the cover off of) you don't need to tear into the dash, it's right above the big plug you can see in the picture you can also follow the wires from the brake switch itself..... once u find the right loom your going to piggy back the red wire from the controller onto the white wire in the loom.
IMAG0409.gif
And another pic..
IMAG0430.gif
Here's the final install of the controller... I just used the supplied screws and screwed it so that I could still get access to the parking brake..
IMAG0404.gif
Here you can see the wires hanging down in the back... I loomed the wires from front to back to protect it...
IMAG0429.gif
And here's the final shot of the 7 pin plug... I already had the 4 plug "T" so I just used marine grade heat shrink butt connectors for the green (or blue), black and white wires.. I thru out the zinc plated screws for the bracket-to-bumper and used stainless steel hardware.. now mind u I work at West Marine so I got all the wires and connectors pretty cheap, as I wasn't happy with the connectors I got with the "KIT"..... ohh and this was my first how to write up so please feel free to add too it... since I did all of it from my phone it probably has some errors...

I hope this helps somebody in the future...

Last edited:

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This helps a ton!! I will possibly be adding a brake controller in the future and this will help a lot :) Nice write up and thank you!!

OP
OP
dsltrc

dsltrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad i could help.... i had search forever and never really had all the info i needed especially when it came to the brake switch.... i've used this site ever since i bought the truck and i'm glad i was able to give back to the site...