Duramax with Catalytic converter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVYukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,
My 2021 Yukon Denali with Duramax had a check engine light and notice that something is wrong with the emission system. It sits at dealer for the whole week and today they said it's due to wrong fuel (I know I put in only Diesel 2 and from 1 station). GM will not cover and fix it under warranty.
Any suggestion from this forum? I think we got a bad catalytic converter. Any suggestion is appreciated.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My 2021 Yukon Denali with Duramax had a check engine light and notice that something is wrong with the emission system. It sits at dealer for the whole week and today they said it's due to wrong fuel (I know I put in only Diesel 2 and from 1 station). GM will not cover and fix it under warranty.
Any suggestion from this forum? I think we got a bad catalytic converter. Any suggestion is appreciated.
So they are saying gasoline is in the tank? If the filling station did this by mistake, you almost certainly aren't the only one. They'll have to make it right.

You are probably going to want to pay the dealership to drain your tank, clean it out and put some diesel in there and then seek reimbursement from the party at fault. I do not know if the converter(s) would be lost or could be cleaned up by running the system hot. That's a question for folks more knowledgeable than I.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also need to get independent sample analysis of the fuel. There could be multiple scenarios. But if there is gas in your tank factually,and you are 100% sure you didn’t mistakenly pump it in. You have a claim against your fuel supplier.
Usually gas in diesel causes a lot more problems than you are listing though. Mostly destruction of the fuel delivery system…

OP
OP
L

LVYukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You also need to get independent sample analysis of the fuel. There could be multiple scenarios. But if there is gas in your tank factually,and you are 100% sure you didn’t mistakenly pump it in. You have a claim against your fuel supplier.
Usually gas in diesel causes a lot more problems than you are listing though. Mostly destruction of the fuel delivery system…
I just came back from the dealer, the sample in the car is a very light color with no yellow like a regular diesel. I went by the station that I usually filled the tank and it's a 76 with renewable diesel. Would this be the issue? they tested the sample from the diesel in my tank and they said it's definitely not diesel. Can I continue to drive it and burn it all off or should I have it emptied and change the fuel filter? The quote from dealer is quite high $2800 to clean it up. I know that I did not fill other gas in there (you can't anyway).

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the bottom line is it needs to be analyzed as to exactly what it is and if it is compatible with On Road Diesel vehicles or not. It doesn't matter what anyone "Thinks"... The only thing that matters is if you have LM2 compatible diesel in that tank or not and if you actually knew what you were putting in or not....

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
You either have proof of purchase in a receipt, credit card statement, or not.

Video from the station would also confirm whether the right pump was used or not. Perhaps too late now if they don’t have a long retention time.

If the station had an issue, they already know of it; there will be many affected.

Your best opportunity will be communicating with the fuel seller. It seems odd you haven’t done that.

Driving it further would be risky. Why would you consider throwing away a 100k mile warranty?

OP
OP
L

LVYukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your inputs. We need a referral on where/who would perform the test on the existing fuel just for future references (to avoid renewable diesel or it's OK but we just get a bad pump/station etc...). Also to ensure that this dealership is honest about the analysis (also for future reference to get the car service here or going to another one). All inputs are appreciated.

Hrocks

Reaction score
I just came back from the dealer, the sample in the car is a very light color with no yellow like a regular diesel. I went by the station that I usually filled the tank and it's a 76 with renewable diesel. Would this be the issue? they tested the sample from the diesel in my tank and they said it's definitely not diesel. Can I continue to drive it and burn it all off or should I have it emptied and change the fuel filter? The quote from dealer is quite high $2800 to clean it up. I know that I did not fill other gas in there (you can't anyway).
Just looked up "renewable diesel". Found this from the gov't.... https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/biofuels/biodiesel-in-depth.php Looks similar to a gasoline a flex-fuel type situation. Sounds like there's different types of "renewable diesel" fuels. Depends on the percentage of biomass diesel. One would think that if it were an issue, that many, many D-max owners would have issues, but? Don't know if this helps, but good luck!