Dual Battery switch write up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this same switch set-up on my boat and have been wanting to do it on my hoe for quite some time now. I finally got off my arse and did a little write-up.

The switch itself is a marine grade switch, found at many marine shops (I got mine at west marine, $30.00)

tahoe021.gif

I then made a bracket to screw the base of the switch housing to

tahoe022.gif

I then un-screw the OEM fuse holder and secured my bracket using those screws.

tahoe024.gif

I then hooked up both batteries to their respective posts and attached all the commons to that post.

tahoe026.gif

The entire job took about an hour front start to finish. Most of that time was running the 2 gauge wire over the fan shroud and crimping the connectors on.

This particular set up works great for me because with a dual battery set-up, if the truck sits for an extended period of time, the batteries will actually start to effect negatively towards each other and lose their charge. I don't drive my hoe but once every week or so, so when Im not using it, i flipped the switch to "off". Acts as some what of a security system too.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
So every week or so, once you turn the radio on or anything else with presets, you'd have to reset them or just deal with it?

OP
OP
M

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's the price to pay. Like I said, my hoe isn't my primary mode of transportation (usually the po po car is) so it sits a lot. It's been known to sit as long as a month.

I listen to mostly cd's anyways so it doesn't really bother me much. The other reason for installing the switch was the same reason I put one in my boat. I can switch to one battery and play the radio for as long as I want. When its time to leave, I can just flip it to the other and I'm good to go!

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
cool idea. i like the whole idea of being able to run on one batt. not good enough of a security system imo. i like my alarm to have power. lol

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
JK did it the audio installer route. lol. hence the pac isolator as opposed to a boat one. lol

OP
OP
M

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I did it more the "redneck" way, but it works really good for my needs. Different strokes for different folks.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Anyone see my spring compressor tool that manages to sneak in the second pic. Thats another job im not looking forward to doing. I can already see my door falling over and hitting the concrete.

WrenchGuy

WrenchGuy
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I have 2 Deka Intimidators simply paralleled. I've had it this way close to 2 yrs and they're sittin steady.

Granted they are both the same battery which has been said to be beneficial.

OP
OP
M

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it mostly due to having the ability to turn off the entire system and choice one battery at a time not because of the detrimental effects on each battery. I was simply stating that was one of the benefits. I personally don't have any data to prove or disprove that theory though.

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
i did mine the same way bassicaly as JK, i have 4 of the 5 on one side of the isolator(all parallel) and the other in the engine bay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs