Double din

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fig865

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agreed. I layed the harnesses out and I'll admit they looked a little intimidating at first. But with a quick skim through the instructions from both PAC and Pioneer, I was off and running. I soldered and shrink wrapped the harnesses last night. And today on my lunch break pulled the original radio, ran the backup camera cable and microphone wire through the dash to the left and plugged the Pioneer deck in. I was making bluetooth calls and blasting the radio by the end of my lunch hour. Tonight I'll mount the backup camera, solder in my gauge cluster LED's and button everything up.

Jaywoo65, your thread was part of the reason I went with these parts. So far the install was as easy as I was hoping. Thanks guys!

Johnwhitehead4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the PAC OS-2X the only one that will work? I have another PAC one Best Buy sold it to me and has told me twice it will work but have had trouble

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
If the Tahoe is a 99-02 then it doesn't need all those fancy interfaces. It does however need a 1.5 to 2 din conversion kit. You can either get parts from an 03-06 or metra has a full dash bezel replacement that is tons easier. That's what I used in my 2000 Silverado

IMG_2601.JPG

bigmike41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the Tahoe is a 99-02 then it doesn't need all those fancy interfaces. It does however need a 1.5 to 2 din conversion kit. You can either get parts from an 03-06 or metra has a full dash bezel replacement that is tons easier. That's what I used in my 2000 Silverado

View attachment 181199
Do you have to move heater controls

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the 2000 to 2002 you have three options. One go the route of buying 2003 and up bezel and radio mount like the picture below. Then your ac controls will move down to match the bezel and you will have to remove the door that covers your cigarette power, which is not a big deal. The other route is you can trim the bezel you have now to a bigger opening to accommodate the radio and then you remove a metal bracket behind the radio so the double din will fit. Third buy the metra kit that a previous owner mentioned. I ended up trimming my bezel and cutting the bracket.DSC08888.jpg

Below is an image of original bezel trimmed looks better in person then in the photo lol. If i get a chance to take a better pic I will
1113161841.jpg

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI for future members, if you use the PAC interface it has both the Bose interface and steering wheel controls in one. Not sure about the XM though
Nice! I didn’t know about this when I ordered mine, it may have not even been available. I had the OS2CBOSE and had to get the PAC-SWI RC interface for the steering wheel controls (which I could never get to work). I just ordered the PAC RP5-GM11 to replace it. Seems like it will be much easier. Thanks!

chrmbly

Reaction score
I just did it with the PAC kit from Crutchfield. The new chime is a bit annoying, but turning the volume down works wonders. XM will NOT work, but onstar and SWC work fine. be27d6df3dfeaee72351208b936b4f67.jpgcf451dc9d16e0d4bd9905ebb0e82b0b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrmbly

Reaction score
Agreed. I layed the harnesses out and I'll admit they looked a little intimidating at first. But with a quick skim through the instructions from both PAC and Pioneer, I was off and running. I soldered and shrink wrapped the harnesses last night. And today on my lunch break pulled the original radio, ran the backup camera cable and microphone wire through the dash to the left and plugged the Pioneer deck in. I was making bluetooth calls and blasting the radio by the end of my lunch hour. Tonight I'll mount the backup camera, solder in my gauge cluster LED's and button everything up.

Jaywoo65, your thread was part of the reason I went with these parts. So far the install was as easy as I was hoping. Thanks guys!

I know everyone runs the cables under the driver side floor (under the plastic panels), but how are you getting the cable from the camera into the truck? I’ve heard some people just run it over the seal on the hatch, others have drilled holes under the carpet in the back.

I did my stereo install but was apprehensive of the camera install...

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know everyone runs the cables under the driver side floor (under the plastic panels), but how are you getting the cable from the camera into the truck? I’ve heard some people just run it over the seal on the hatch, others have drilled holes under the carpet in the back.

I did my stereo install but was apprehensive of the camera install...

I fabed up a camera in my window release button and ran my video cable through the hatch with the other wiring harness. I ran my cable from there through the body channel behind the headliner on the passenger side all the way down to the pillar into the dash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907