Does a out of state temp fee and doc fee of $375.66 seem excessive???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That seems like a lot to pay for a 30 day tag and title, and they're only offering me invoice pricing. From reading the threads here, it looks like the right amount off sticker is $6500, but I don't want them trying to get well by inflating the fees.

I'd be ordering a 2016 LT 4WD with luxury package.

What do you all think is a reasonable "fee" amount??

Thx!

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap yes id ask them what are they smoking 375 bucks for a temp tag
are u sure that doesnt include plates and tags usually they give a temp tag and yer plates and stuff come later in the mail or some shit

OP
OP
tweak48

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
holy crap yes id ask them what are they smoking 375 bucks for a temp tag
are u sure that doesnt include plates and tags usually they give a temp tag and yer plates and stuff come later in the mail or some shit

Because it's an out of state purchase, I pay the sales tax and buy the license plates in my home state.

All these guys do for me is give me a 30 day temp permit and do something with the documentation (title) that I don't understand. I should just ask them what it is I get for $375.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you bring the truck home to your state and get a temp tag from your local Dept of Rev? Surely your state offers that...I can get one in my state directly from the DMV DR office - don't have to get it from the dealer.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Here's what the MO DMV offers:

Obtaining a Temporary Permit

Upon purchase of a newly acquired motor vehicle, trailer, or motorcycle/motortricycle, you may purchase a temporary permit to operate the vehicle when no plates are available for transfer. (Missouri dealers can sell temporary permits to out-of-state residents only if they are purchasing motor vehicles, trailers, or motorcycles/motortricycles from their dealership).
Temporary permits will be issued for a period of up to 30 days from the purchase date.
Only ONE temporary permit may be purchased per vehicle.
Temporary permits may not be purchased and are no longer valid once application for title has been made.
Temporary permits may NOT be purchased for junk vehicles.
To obtain a temporary permit, please bring the following items with you to any Missouri license office:
One of the following ownership documents:
The Certificate of Title, properly signed over to you (see instructions), or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO);
Bill of Sale (Form 1957);
Notice of Sale (Form 5049); or
A Missouri Application for Title and License (Form 108) signed by the dealer.
A safety inspection (not more than 60 days old), unless:
the vehicle is less than five years old;
you are a resident of a state other than Missouri; or
you are obtaining a temporary permit for a trailer.
A current insurance identification card (original, copy, or electronic if legible) or other proof of financial responsibility. This requirement does not apply to trailers.
You will pay:
A permit fee of $5.00 plus a $3.50 processing fee.
The temporary permit must be securely placed on the rear of the vehicle, trailer, or motorcycle consistent with the placement of regular license plates so it is visible and not obscured in any way.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what ive done in the past in similar situations and they throw out some fee that seems rediculous and sounds like there puttin one over on me i ask them to explain the fee to me and then after there convaluded explanation i say okay heres whats gonna happen either you waive that fee or this whole car deal unwinds and usually they say hold on one sec and go talk to there boss and come back and say no problem

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

i refuse to pay ******** dealer fees
i actually had one salesmen say "in arizona we are required to charge dealer fees its the law" i laughed and walked away

kevamo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What State are you buying the car in? Some states cap what dealers can charge for the Doc Fee, whiles others don't. Some dealers in states without caps will use this to advertise a low price then recoup profit through this fee. Most states you can negotiate this fee or not pay it at all. Sales people will tell you its a state fee (false) or they are required to charge it (false).

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, basically this is something ALL dealers do. I'm a tough sale and I HATE paying it but it sort of the price you pay to play.

I would expect to pay about max $150.

I think Laura was like $110 or something like that.

I have a local Ford dealer that is $499 even on USED cars! lol. Needless to say anyone that pays that is an idiot.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "we must charge it as it's the law" is actually somewhat true....

Many states have a cap on the fees...and many states have a requirement that either it's charged on EVERY deal and permanently printed on the buyers order or it's not charged at all. That's to keep the fee from becoming discriminatory.

OP
OP
tweak48

tweak48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

I've decided I'll give these clowns $200 max for paperwork. AND that's if I get the $6500 off MSRP that I'm looking for. Not sure I can get that, but I was offered that on when ordering an identical 2015 vehicle (semi loaded LT 4WD) last November.

Waiting to hear back today.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667