Do Drive Modes have any impact on Auto 4wd operation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EducatorDan

Reaction score
Been getting hit with snow this week in Northern New Mexico on the high desert plateau and I was wondering if the Drive Modes (Normal, Sport, Off Road, Towing) have any impact on the way the "Auto" function on the AutoTrac transfer case distributes torque or how quickly and aggressively it does.

Auto + Normal seems like it allows the rear to step out too far before it intervenes, even in situations where due to pavement conditions 4HI would be inappropriate.

(AND HEY GM, WHY NO "SNOW" MODE FOR THE DRIVE SETTINGS? MOST OF THESE SUCKERS ARE GOING TO BE MOM'S TAXI!)

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
Been getting hit with snow this week in Northern New Mexico on the high desert plateau and I was wondering if the Drive Modes (Normal, Sport, Off Road, Towing) have any impact on the way the "Auto" function on the AutoTrac transfer case distributes torque or how quickly and aggressively it does.

Auto + Normal seems like it allows the rear to step out too far before it intervenes, even in situations where due to pavement conditions 4HI would be inappropriate.

(AND HEY GM, WHY NO "SNOW" MODE FOR THE DRIVE SETTINGS? MOST OF THESE SUCKERS ARE GOING TO BE MOM'S TAXI!)
Drive modes do not have any effect on 4wd auto, the only time auto 4wd takes over is when it detects rear wheel spin in a fraction of a second under throttle. So, if your rear stepped out you most likely took your foot off the pedal. I have had the same running my truck in auto and the rear started sliding out after counter steering to the right I gave it about half throttle and the front engaged and pulled it straight. 4WD auto only works under throttle and the rear wheels start to spin faster then the front, it does it in a fraction of a second. Hope this helps.