Disconnecting 2021 OnStar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22ohdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up an 18 silverado 3500hd ltz for my dad to drive and was looking up how to disable the onstar on that truck.
There are instructions about how to access the onstar module and take it apart and then remove the cellular board within the module.
Would this work on the 21+ yukon/tahoe? I have a 22 denali on order that I'm planning on doing tons of road trips with and want to get ride of onstar asap.

hatzie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up an 18 silverado 3500hd ltz for my dad to drive and was looking up how to disable the onstar on that truck.
There are instructions about how to access the onstar module and take it apart and then remove the cellular board within the module.
Would this work on the 21+ yukon/tahoe? I have a 22 denali on order that I'm planning on doing tons of road trips with and want to get ride of onstar asap.
Depends on how integrated the Onstar electronics are with the infotainment system. If they intend to have it on all vehicles regardless there's no reason to not to completely integrate it with another module like the infotainment system or even the BCM.
Stub off the cellular and probably the WiFi antenna connectors with a 50Ω or 75Ω coaxial terminator if the antenna connection is accessible.

This crap makes me love my 2005 Silverado with my Kenwood radio a lot more.

Denisko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will try do video on 18 yuko prior to my subscription end. i saw few different videos(mostly trucks) and already found block on my car into other location.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, if you physically do something like cut the cord, will it void your warranty? I could easily see GM doing that.....

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, if you physically do something like cut the cord, will it void your warranty? I could easily see GM doing that.....
termination Cap no wires cut, the wifi will need to be capped as well

22ohdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only a person who doesn't know anything about cars could come up with that brilliant idea!

When I had diesels, we started them up before work and shut them down after work, often times 60 or so hours later.

termination Cap no wires cut, the wifi will need to be capped as well

So just eliminating the ability for onstar to send communications from the vehicle? I'm completely fine with that as I never plan to use the car's wifi/cell service.

OP
OP
CTown Duramax

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please, somebody do a video of how to disconnect or block out all the coms.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just eliminating the ability for onstar to send communications from the vehicle? I'm completely fine with that as I never plan to use the car's wifi/cell service.
yes just cap out the s RF lines no wire cutting they can be terminated at the shark fin

i'm not sure where the wifi would be capped

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the sure fire way is to unplug the module, you could do this yourself if you know where the module is located and how to access it
or you could take it to the dealer and tell them you work in a radio sensitive area and you are not allowed on the grounds if there is any onstar or wifi active and ask them to unplug it.
or if you can locate the fuse as it shows at the end of this video you could do that also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts